Chapter Sixty-Seven

Peeta POV-

The weather changes in a matter of seconds.

It was a kind of chilly day anyways but it was clear and there was no breeze.

Out of nowhere, the wind picked up and snow started to fall rapidly.

"Katniss! Come on, I got the stuff! We need to get out of here now!" I scream, looking around for her in the vicious winds and snowfall, not making it easy to see anything with the dirt and leaves flying around too.

A second later, Katniss comes running towards me from the inside of the little house.

"Let's go!" She yells and runs a little ahead of me.

I have the picnic basket filled heavily with the roots and her bow and arrows slung over my back.

Katniss runs along through the rustling leaves and I run after her the quickest I can.

I dodge shaking branches and leaves to the face as the wind makes it harder to see, all the dirt blowing in your eyes. And the wind echoing your ears.

I get an almost clear shot to the fence but the snow turns to sleet in a matter of seconds but we keep running away as our clothes soak up the snow, making the rub more difficult and bone chilling.

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they do.

About a quarter of a mile to the fence line Katniss trips.

Just like that, she tumbles on the ground and cries out painfully.

"Katniss!" I scream as I drop everything and run to her side.

She's crying.

She's hurt.

"Peeta! I can't get up." She cries, shaking her head. She holds up her hand to show blood. The wind is blowing her hair all around and it sticks to her face because of her tears, the snow wets us both. Our breaths both heavy, so it's hard for either of us to speak.

Katniss looks like she could pass out any second.

The wind chill is making it feel as if it is in the negatives.

It's bone chilling and teeth chattering.

"Where are you hurt?" I ask, frantically looking up and down her body for any signs of blood.

Katniss's face is pale and her eyes start to roll back as she points to her left leg.

That's when I see that it's bloody and twisted in a funny way.

Then, I feel as if I could pass out too.

But I can't, I need to get Katniss help.

"Katniss! Don't fall asleep! I'm going to pick you up, okay?" I tell her.

Katniss nods slightly and tries to stay awake.

I stand up a scoop her up the best I can but is cold and slick so it's difficult, she cries out as I pick her up. Just as I am about to run to the fence Katniss, taps my shoulder hard, "My bows. They were my dad's. I can't leave them." She whines weakly.

"I'll come back for them, I promise!" I practically scream at her because the wind is making it hard to hear.

I make it to the fence when she grabs onto the collar of my shirt.

"Get my bow and arrows now, please?" She begs me, holding onto her bloody, limp leg.

The snow has completely covered the ground now and us too.