Chapter Seventy-Four

Katniss POV- (Christmas Eve Eve)

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve!

Peeta and I were invited to his parents house for a meal and after a lot of convincing, Peeta agreed to go.

What ultimately sealed the deal was his mother wouldn't be there.

Peeta and I left a few minutes ago and he's been quiet all morning.

I know he is still upset about the events that occurred a while back with his mother and I also know he's missing the bakery and his dad.

"Peeta, are you okay?" I ask after a silent car ride.

He parks and just sits there, hands clutched to the steering wheel.

Peeta shrugs, "I'm still extremely angry." He says quietly.

I put my hand on his shoulder and he looks up at me, "We don't have to go." I say.

He shakes his head, "No. We need to. Let's just get it over with."

"Peeta, please don't let what happened ruin today? Especially since your mother isn't even here." I tell him.

He leans over and kisses my cheek, "I'll try to make the best of it, I promise." He says and we go inside.

"Hey, kids!" Peeta's father embraces us each at the door.

Peeta just smiles awkwardly at his dad and looks at me.

"Hey, Mr. Mellark." I say.

"Come on in." He sats.

We are lead into the living room to find two familiar faces and two unfamiliar faces.

"Here we go." Peeta mumbles to me and I smirk and nudge his side, hard.

We walk/crutch in and each of Peeta's brothers hug us and introduce us to the two women sitting next to each of them on the couch.

Their girlfriends.

After awhile, we all visit and Peeta, his dad and I all discuss in private about the happenings a while back.

Mr. Mellark, apparently unaware of it all, was told by his wife Peeta just quit.

He offers Peeta his job back, in which he refuses.

"I would rather stay home with Katniss than work in a place I'm not welcome." He said.

"You're always welcome, son."

"Ryan and David tolerate me but that's just so I can do their work. Mom hates me."

"Your mother doesn't have a say in it and Ryan and David are about to really be jobless." Mr. Mellark informs us.

"What do you mean?" Peeta asks.

"I'm planning on letting them go. They both have a lot of growing up to do."

Peeta sighs, "Yet, you want me to take my job back just so you can fire me too soon?"

"If I planned on firing you, I wouldn't have even offered you your job back. In fact, I hoped you'd accept it so I could give you more opportunities." His dad explains.

Peeta takes a deep breath, "Mom would be furious. Are you sure you want to risk all of that?"

"I don't mind it. I won't be around forever and I need someone to take over when I'm gone. I would want that person to be you."

"Thank you but I just don't think it's something I can take on right now, Dad." Peeta sighs deeply, conflicted.

I know it's Peeta's dream but I agree, while his Mom is around, Peeta isn't going to be treated the way he should and his brothers aren't going to step up.