Chapter Twelve

Katniss POV-

"I'm getting married!" Bristol squeals and holds her left hand out in front of her.

I grab her hand and look, she is in fact engaged to somebody.

There is a big diamond with a silver band.

It's really simple but so beautiful on her tiny finger.

Married?

I didn't even know she had a boyfriend or anything.

My mouth gapes open, "Married to who?" I ask her, in shock.

"Well, you see, there's this guy I know. He is from my hometown in Ten and I've known him since we were little. We've always been really good friends and my senior year, he went into the military. He came home May for awhile and he asked me out and we've been talking back and forth. Yesterday, he got to come home for a month and he drove all the way here to surprise me. We went out today and..." Bristol says excitedly.

"And...?" I drag out with a grin.

"And at lunch he got down on one knee and proposed." She squeals.

"Bristol, I am so happy for you." I say, hugging her.

"Thank you, Kat." She says, smiling proudly.

"Now we are both engaged." I say.

Bristol laughs and points to me and as if practiced we say, "Double wedding!" We joke and hug again.

I've never really been all overly excited about love and weddings but since Peeta and I met, I have been.

And Bristol is just such a sweet and beautiful girl, she deserves this and I couldn't be happier for her.

Even if it is sudden, it makes sense she didn't tell me about him.

As long as she is happy, I am too.

We both calm down and I sit on my bed.

"So, when's the wedding?" I ask her nonchalantly.

Bristol pulls out her desk chair and sits down.

"Well, it's kind of going to be this weekend." Bristol drops another bomb.

"What?" I ask, confused as to why it's so soon.

"Well, Brandon is in the military. He could get a call back and be gone. If we are doing this, it has to be before he leaves again." She says gravely.

"Why can't you wait though?" I ask, probably sounding like I know nothing of the real world, which I really don't.

"If we wait until next time, there may be no next time. I may never get this opportunity again and if he leaves, he may come back in a wooden box. I don't want that and at least if it did happen, we would've actually been married for a period of time. That's all I have ever wanted and it took me three years to figure out how much I really love him. I'm going to be able to get married to someone who makes me feel so whole and happy and he is that person." She says and I finally understand how truly important this is to her.

Even if I don't understand it, she's going to do this soon.

"Oh, I understand." I say at a complete loss for words.

Peeta and I are lucky.

Bristol and so many other people have it so much harder than we do.

He risks his life for us every day and she has enough strength and confidence in him that he will come back and nothing will go wrong.

Hope is the only thing stronger than the fear.

I fear for Peeta's life every single day on regular day to day things and it's a totally different ball game.

I can't even begin to imagine if Peeta was in the military, how much more worried I would be about him and constantly.

"I just really don't know where to start." She sighs.

"Hi, I'm Katniss Everdeen and I will be your wedding planner." I say, holding my hand out and trying to lighten the mood some.

She looks down at my hand and smiles, "Katniss, you don't have to do this." Bristol says.

I keep my hand out, "I know but I want to. You really deserve the day of your dreams." I say truthfully.

"Don't you need to plan your own wedding?" She asks, slightly grinning.

"Peeta and I haven't even set a date yet. This can be good practice for me." I say happily.

"Fine but I get to help you with your wedding."

"Of course. I'll be counting on it." I laugh.

I grab an extra notebook from my desk and a pen, "Okay, so I am not really a professional but what colors, I guess? Or you want a theme?" I ask, unsure.

Peeta and I haven't talked much about our wedding but we've discussed little stupid things about it.

"Hmmmm, I've never really thought about colors so I don't know."

I shrug, "What about guests?"

"Well, you and Peeta of course. And if I could get my parents out here in time and his too, my grandma. Ugh, I'm not really sure who else. I don't want it to be a big wedding so I think that is enough people." Bristol says confidently.

"No siblings for either of you?" I ask.

She shakes her head, "None that I want there. Brandon is an only child."

"Okay, seven and you and Brandon so...nine total people." I add in, not asking further questions.

"Yep." Bristol says.

We go through some more quick planning and decide to set up a place downtown for the ceremony.

Luckily, they have a time open Sunday afternoon and an officiant.

Bristol has me call everyone and invite them down.

Luckily, they all assured me they would for sure be here and I really hope that they all come.

"A dress!" I say out of the blue.

Bristol's eyes light up, "I totally forgot about a dress." She says, laughing nervously.

"Me too." I say chuckling.

"What do we do?" She asks.

"Go shopping. Duh." I say.

And with those three words we are off.

We go into several bridal shops that sell dresses that are ready that day.

Bristol finds this very sophisticated beaded gown.

It is so stunningly beautiful on the hanger and a thousand times more beautiful on the bride herself.

"Oh my goodness. You look like a bride!" I say, hugging her.

"Thank you so much for doing this all." Bristol says, tearing up.

"Anything for a friend" I say truthfully.

Bristol has become such a good friend to me this last month and I'm happy to help her in any way that I can.

"You're amazing." She says hugging me again.

"You know, we better call Peeta and tell him the news. He will be clueless as to what is going on." I say laughing.

"Call him and tell him your dress shopping and that you're getting married Sunday afternoon." Bristol laughs with a devious grin.

"As much as I would love to mess with Peeta, I better not. He would either not question it or freak out." I laugh, shaking my head.