Chapter Forty-Four

Katniss POV- (Two days later, still sick)

I have never felt so sickly in my entire life.

My head still aches and any movement, big or small, whether it's moving my head or sitting up causes my world to spin.

"Remember last Thanksgiving when Prim and I got you sick?" Peeta asks me.

I smile tiredly, "Yes." I say softly at the memory.

What a fun day despite me getting so sick afterwards.

Peeta kisses my cheek, "Remember how we planned to get her back?" He asks me sadly.

I laugh softly, "We never got to." I say sadly.

"Nope but looking back, she didn't deserve it anyways." Peeta whispers.

"I agree. You deserved a little payback though." I tease him.

He scoffs, "It was all in good fun." He defends his case.

It makes me feel a lot better thinking about simpler times.

That day, it was just perfect.

Prim and Peeta; my two favorite humans.

It is strange to think that those precious memories were only a year ago.

So much has happened since then.

So many good and bad things, in just a year's lapse of time.

But it's time for new things.

New teams, new memories and new traditions.

Katniss POV- (Tuesday, one day after Bristol's arrival.

I've been feeling so much better the last couple of days.

I still am pretty tired and I have to take it slow.

Bristol came in yesterday around noon and is staying in our guest bedroom.

I am so happy to have her here too.

I know it's only been about a month but it seems like forever.

Bristol's belly is still just starting to become noticeable.

She is about five months along and finds out what the baby will be soon.

Peeta is in the kitchen fixing a late Thanksgiving dinner and Bristol and I are in the living room.

"So, when the baby is born, I promise I'll come down and help you especially since midterms will be about that time ." I assure Bristol.

She smiles and puts her hand on her belly, "We'd love it if you and Peeta both came." She says.

I smile softly, "I'm sure he won't miss it. You even have him wanting one." I whisper to her.

Her eyes widen, "Oh, I'm sorry. Y'all arguing about it, are you?" She ask guiltily.

I shake my head, "No, but we never really discussed it in this much detail until more recently."

"What brought it up?"

"Well, you know how I have been sick. The first morning he was telling me how wonderful it would be if I was pregnant." I tell her quietly.

Bristol smiles softly, "It would be a very wonderful thing but you haven't even done anything. It's impossible. What brought up pregnancy though?" She asks, confused.

"I woke up and immediately ran to the bathroom and threw up my guts." I say and roll my eyes.

"And he thought you were...?"

"No, I guess not. He just said how wonderful it'd be if I was throwing up for that reason." I tell her.

"Oh, I was gonna say, he's got to be smarter than that..." Bristol chuckles.

I scoff, "I don't know. Peeta is smart but it wouldn't really surprise me. He's still a guy and guys are pretty, what's the word..."

"Dumb?" Bristol chimes in.

"Well, sometimes. No, uh, clueless. I guess the word I am looking for would be clueless." I laugh.

Bristol smiles, "Yeah, they can definitely be that too." She let's out a laugh.

"So, really, how have you been feeling?" I ask her, just wondering.

"I've been okay. I just got through with morning sickness a few weeks ago and now, I'm just really missing Brandon." She gets tears in her eyes.

I put my hand on hers, "Hey, don't cry. I promise you he will be back soon. Did you tell him about the baby yet?" I ask.

She nods and wipes away a fallen tear.

"Bristol, not that he wouldn't have before the baby, but now that he knows he has a child, I can guarantee he will do whatever it takes to get back home to you both. Alive and well." I say, sure of it.

Bristol's tears dry up, "I'm sorry. I know he will, Kat. It's just really upsetting that I have to go through this without him. Especially since I was given a man who would stay by my side after he got me pregnant and now he can't even do that."

I scoot closer to her and give her a gentle hug, "I know and it's not fair for either of you or even Brandon." I say.

"It was his decision to go and I know now he regrets it but I just need him to be back soon so it doesn't miss it all." Bristol says.

"I know you do but Peeta and I are here to help you while Brandon is gone."

"You guys live so far away now." She sniffles.

"I know we live far away but you know if you ever need us, just call and we will be there to help you." I assure her.

"I know. Thank you, Katniss." She says.

I give her a sad smile just as Peeta peeks in his head from around a corner, "Dinner is ready, girls." He says sweetly.

I look back at Bristol, "Come on. I know you're hungry because you're eating for two and I'm just eating for me and I am starving!" I say helping her up.

Bristol's laughs at my remark and together, we go into the kitchen.

When we walk in, the table has a variety of different foods laid out.

There's turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, regular biscuits, cheese buns, and salad.

Peeta takes Bristol's hand and guides her to the table and pulls out her chair and helps her sit down.

I laugh and walk over to my seat next to Peeta's and just as I am about to sit down, Peeta stops me.

"Wait." He says and takes my hand.

He pulls me away from my chair into a hug and kicks the chair back into place.

He kisses my cheek gently and then turns me around and guided me a few steps back to my chair and pulls it out again.

Still holding my hand, I sit down and he helps me scoot myself up.

"Thank you, kind sir." I tease him.

Peeta grins and bows down, "Anything for you, my lady." He winks.

I laugh and look down at my empty plate and try to decide what to devour first.

Peeta takes a seat next to me.

Peeta smiles, "I love you." I say looking over at him.

"I love you too." Peeta says and slaps a large cheese bun on my plate.

I scrunch up my nose playfully and giggle, "Thanks." I say and encourage Bristol to dig in.

We an extremely delicious meal and with our belly's full, we all take a nap.

Hours upon hours later, Peeta and I lay in bed, entangled in each other and enjoying each other's company.

I whisper out, "I'm so thankful for you and all that you do and all that you've done, Peeta Mellark." I say to him.