Chapter Forty-One

Peeta POV- (9:45am)

"Peeta, what if something is really wrong. I've never been sick like this before." Katniss says worriedly.

I look over to her in the passenger seat, she's laying as flat as the seat allows her to.

I frown at her.

I really hope it's nothing serious but I know she is just as nervous as I am.

"It'll be okay, I promise. I'm sure it's just like you said, something simple that feels worse than it is." I say, holding her hand.

I back out of the driveway and head towards the doctor's office.

"Peeta, I can't even sit up without my head spinning. My head is pounding and I feel like I'm gonna pass out or throw at the littlest movement. What if it's not something little?"

My heart breaks at her words and the sound of her voice.

The thought of Katniss being in pain and me being unable to help her is terrible and for Katniss to be this scared about her health, something must be wrong and she knows it.

"You will be okay, Katniss. You're strong, don't let it get to you." I say, hoping my words will help calm her.

"Peeta, what if it's bad? What if I die and you're left here all alone and then my mom won't have anyone either." Katniss begins to cry.

Now I know she's overreacting.

I pull over to the side of the road and turn to her, she has her free hand over her eyes, shielding the morning sun.

Her face is pale but her cheeks are pink and tears stream down her cheeks.

"Katniss, look at me, please?" I say.

She slowly removes her hand and blinks her eyes open, they focus on me and I can see how scared she is.

"I promise you that no matter what happens we will both be okay. I promise you that you're not going to die. It's just your nerves getting to you." I tell her truthfully.

Katniss takes a few deep breaths and I know she's trying to calm herself down.

She often has panic attacks but I had her take a few deep breaths once and it worked so I have her do it often.

"Katniss, it's probably nothing the doctor can't fix. You've probably just never felt this way and it's freaking you out." I tell her.

Katniss nods her head slowly, "Thank you. Please, just don't leave my side when we get there." She says.

I squeeze her hand reassuringly, "I won't. You ready to go? Maybe we will get you some medicine and get you to feeling better so I can see that beautiful smile again." I say and this makes her smile wide.

I aw at her, "There it is." I say, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

"Let's go get this over with." She sighs.

She hates going to the doctor.

I nod my head and we pull back onto the road, about five minutes later, we make it to the clinic.

Katniss POV-

There is seriously something wrong.

I can feel it.

I know Peeta is trying to convince that it's nothing but I feel absolutely terrible.

We get to the doctor and Peeta gets out to help me.

Slowly, he helps me to my feet and I wrap my arms around his shoulders and he helps guide me across the parking lot.

I get tired quickly and feel really faint so Peeta stops.

I can't see anything and I feel like the world is spinning.

"Here, let me carry you. You're making me nervous." Peeta says as I feel as if I'm about to fall over.

I shake my head, "No, I'm okay." I say, more confident in myself than I should be at this rate.

"No, here." He says, easily scooping me up.

I wrap my arms around his neck with my head buried into his chest, avoiding the bright sun, my legs dangle sideways over his arms.

Peeta begins walking again and within a few seconds, we are into the cool waiting room.

He carefully sits me down in a chair and goes to fill out my paperwork.

A few minutes later Peeta is back and sits down next to me.

I have my head leaned back against the dry wall and my eyes squeezed shut even though I still feel as if I just spun around the room for a good five minutes.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say weakly.

"The doctor should be out in a few minutes to get you." Peeta says.

I don't say anything back, but sit there, feeling dizzy, my ears ringing and seeing nothing but darkness and light spots.