Chapter Twenty-Seven

Peeta POV-

"I'll call you when I get there, Kat." Mrs. Everdeen calls out, nearly out the door.

I just stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to do next.

Just as the door closes, leaving us here alone.

Mrs. Everdeen opens the door back up.

"Peeta." She says getting my attention and takes something from her pocket and slings it towards me.

Katniss looks over at me and I catch something in my hand.

Startled, I look down.

It's a key.

"It's all yours." Mrs. Everdeen says and shuts the door.

Katniss just looks at me and I look at her in disbelief.

"What?" I ask.

"Peeta!" Katniss squeals as she runs into my arms.

I take a step back and hug her tightly.

My heart is racing.

"She just gave you the house." I tell Katniss softly, so excited for her.

"She gave it to us. It's ours, Peeta." Katniss says in disbelief.

I look down and I can't resist it.

I pull her face to mine and kiss her lips passionately.

"Everything is finally coming together, I can feel it." I tell her.

She nods, "I know, it went from bad to really good." Katniss says.

"That's just how life goes. It has it's ups and downs but bad days don't last forever."

I kiss her forehead, not knowing really what to say next.

I'm consumed with happiness.

I wasn't sure what we were going to do when we left District Five but it's all coming together and I haven't had to do much.

A few things are still uncertain but our living situation was going to be the biggest expense.

With that out of the way, things truly can fall into place and be better than I imagined.

"See, maybe when everything was falling apart in Five, they were forming here." Katniss says.

I smile, she's beyond right.

"Well, what next?"

"We start moving in today." Katniss laughs.

I get in the car and exhale deeply, "I still can't believe it."

"Neither can I but it makes sense. My Dad bought the house all those years ago and my Mom wouldn't just give it up that easy or even sell it for that matter."

I sigh, "If we wouldn't have come back, what do you think would have happened?"

"I think the house would have sat here until we did." She tells me.

"Really?"

"Yes but I wasn't expecting her to ever leave."

I frown, "Well, I'm sad to see her go but it worked out perfect for us." I say truthfully.

Katniss stays in the car while I go in and explain to my Dad, hopefully not my mother, the situation.

I'm so glad we aren't having to stay with them longer than we already had to.