Chapter Sixty-Nine

Peeta POV-

Five minutes later, Katniss comes crutching herself out into the living room.

"I'm starving, Peeta." She tells me.

I laugh, "Well, what would my little flamingo like?" I tease her.

Katniss scowls, "I would like to eat me for dinner but I am in the car." She says.

I chuckle, "Would Katniss like me to get the katniss from the car?"

Luckily, she finds humor in this conversation.

"Me would be appreciative." She says with a pouty lip.

I laugh and get up. I grab a blanket, putting it over my shoulders and putting on my snow boots and run through the cold snow to the car. I pop the trunk and grab the picnic basket of frozen katniss tubers and run back inside.

"You'll have to teach me how to make them." I say, walking up to where Katniss sat herself at the island.

"I will."

Katniss instructs me on how to clean them and where to cut them and what to spices add and everything and after awhile, we finally get to eat.

"Dang, I taste good." She teases taking a big spoonful of mashed root.

I chuckle, "Agreed." I wink at her.

We eat the whole batch of it and it was honestly really really good.

"I'm ready for bed." Katniss whines.

I love Katniss, but I'm not against saying that she can get extremely whiney when she's sick or hurt.

But I don't mind really, it's just not normal for her to act like that, that's all.

"Wanna sleep downstairs or upstairs?" I give her an alternative.

Katniss thinks for a minute, "Up." She says.

I refrain from eye rolling but I was the one who gave her the option.

"Okay, I'll carry you so you don't have to use your crutches." I say.

Katniss nods and holds out her arms for me to pick her up, like a kid would do.

I stand in front of the barstool and she jumps into my arms like a small child.

She wraps her arms around my neck and mine wrap around her waist. Her legs wrap around my body the best they can and I carefully walk up the stairs and to our bedroom.

I flip on the light and lay her down in the bed.

I take a few pillows to support her broken leg on and pull the covers over her.

"You need your medicine. I'm going to be waking you up every few hours to alternate. Just like we did when you were sick a while back." I say.

Katniss nods and swallows the pills.

"Want to go to sleep?" I ask her.

"Yes. I'm ready to get this day over with." She says with a frown.

I nod in agreement, "Me too. Today was awful." I say.

"No, it wasn't awful this morning, just when the snow hit, that's all." Katniss corrects me.

It is true.

Today was perfect until the snow blew in.

"True."

I flip out the lights and keep on my clothes so she doesn't see my burns and rashes from the snow and wet clothes.

I crawl into the bed next to her and she takes my hand in her tiny warm one.

"Thank you for saving me today." She whispers sleepily.

I smile, "No problem. I just wish it wouldn't have happened." I start, "I started thinking about how that could've turned out just like my grandparents." I admit to her.

"Peeta, don't say that." Katniss scolds me.

"I know I shouldn't but it was turning out just like that, just different." I say.

"But were are both alive and okay." She says thinking positively.

I smile and agree.

It's true, everything could've been a lot worse.

Katniss turns her head towards me and stretches her neck and extends her lips towards mine, trying her best to kiss me.

But ultimately failing.

I can't help but to laugh at her struggle and I bring my lips to hers, "You're my hero." Katniss whispers against my lips.

My heart warms at her words, "You're my little damsel in distress." I tease her.

Katniss let's out a half asleep laugh, "I love you, Peeta." She says softly.

"I love you too. Goodnight." I say and she doesn't reply.

A few seconds later, I hear tiny, soft snores coming from her and I smile.

I can't believe everything that happened today.

It seems so unreal.

But boy, was it real.