Chapter Ninety-Eight

Peeta POV- (Two days later)

I am still not out of the hospital yet.

Katniss left me five days ago.

She hasn't called me or come by.

I keep asking my nurses if they've heard from her and nothing.

That moment just keeps replaying in my mind, her terrified face.

It's not the first time she's given me that look, but it's going to be the last.

I will make sure of it.

I miss her so much and I've seen her maybe an hour in well over a week.

I have tried calling her and texting too.

She won't respond.

I've called our friends to see if she's been seen and they all said 'no,' except Gale.

He saw her at the lake a few days back.

I'm finally being released tomorrow, expected to make a full recovery. When I do, I'm going to go find her and I'm going to bring her home.

I wonder what she's doing right now?

Is she thinking about me?

Is she terrified of ever seeing me again, afraid I'll hurt her again?

My mind hasn't left her since I got here and maybe I was a little confused and foggy but I'm better and I can't stop thinking about her.

(Texts to Katniss)

"Katniss, please talk to me? I need to know that you're okay. I don't even care if all you send back is just a letter."

"Katniss."

"Please, I'm so sorry."

"Katniss, I miss you so much. I'm sorry about everything. Please, come back."

"Please? I said 'Forever and Always' and I meant it."

"I'm getting out tomorrow. If you don't answer, I'm going to come find you. You know I will."

"Please, be okay?"

"I love you, Katniss. Goodnight."

I throw my phone onto the food tray and push it away till morning.

I toss and turn for hours.

My mind won't let go of Katniss, even long after I fall asleep.

I wake up several times to nurses running into my hospital room, making sure I'm not having a heart attack or anything.

"It's just nightmares." I tell them and they nod in understanding.

After about the fifth nightmare, the nurse makes me stay awake.

"We've had many complaints from other patients, Mr. Mellark." One tells me.

I just shrug and roll my eyes at her words.

"I can't help it. I haven't seen my fiancée in five days, I don't even know where she is or if she's even my fiancée anymore." I say, frustrated.

The nurse nods as she exits the room.

A second later, the doctor comes in.

They begin checking my vitals and then together, the doctor and nurse begin taking out my IVs and other medical wires.

"You can go home. Sign a few release forms and change your clothes, then you go find your girl. You weren't suppose to be released for a few more hours but go." The doctor tells me.