Chapter Forty-Nine

Katniss POV- (The next morning)

I wake up to find myself still entangled in Peeta's warmth.

I look down and see he is still fast asleep, his head now laying on my bare shoulder.

I smile and run my fingers back through his soft blond hair.

I honestly don't know where I would be without him, I wouldn't have survived losing Prim without him no doubt.

The other day, when I finally found 'The Dress' that I will marry my best friend and the love of my life in, it's had me in such a sentimental mood.

I'll get to spend the rest of my life with Peeta and that makes me really, really happy.

I love him more than I ever could've imagined loving someone.

And I know that he loves me more than I could've imagined possible.

Still, to this day, proposal and all, I don't see how Peeta puts up with me.

I remember how before I met Peeta, I assumed that there was no one in the world that could ever love me for me, especially at my worst.

Peeta has proven me all wrong, times a thousand.

He has stuck by me. Granted, we have had our rough patches and our really rough patches, and our even rougher patches but somehow, we always manage to make our way back to each other.

We always find a way to collide.

All this thinking has me in a daze so I don't even notice Peeta is awake and is talking to me.

I focus my eyes and mind back onto Peeta and he repeats his words again.

"Huh?" I say, coming back into reality.

"You're wearing your necklace." He says with a proud smile, playing with the dainty chain around my neck.

I take a deep breath, "A year in a box was too long a time. I shouldn't have let it come off me really." I say, feeling a bit guilty for it.

Peeta sits up, "It's okay. What made you get it out?" He asks.

"I was really missing you the night before so I looked through all our old stuff, everything." I smile at the memory.

Peeta leans up and kisses my shoulder, "That's really sweet, Katniss." He tells me proudly.

I inhale deeply and take in the sweet scent Peeta is beholds.

"Hey, my Grandma was wanting us to come over soon. I saw her in Eleven the other day when we drove through. She said they'd like to have us for dinner sometime." Peeta informs me.

I nod unsure, I get really nervous around Peeta's family anyways and these are people only I've met a couple of times.

At their house two years ago and at our graduation.

"I was thinking we could go Saturday." He says

I nod, "Okay."

I am excited for Saturday but the nerves of Peeta's grandparents still liking me, get to me.

They're the most important family members in his life and their approval means more to me than his parent's approval.

He gives me a kiss and I get out of bed.

"I'm gonna shower." I tell him and he nods, rolling back over to his side of the bed.

I get in the shower and as the steamy water runs down my body, I close my eyes and bask in the heat of the water.