Chapter Twenty-Three

Katniss POV-

I am so excited!

We are just now pulling into the outskirts of District 12 so I call Peeta to see where we are going.

"Yes, dear?" Peeta answers and I can hear the happiness in his voice.

I smile keeping my eyes focused ahead.

"Where are we going?" I ask politely.

He chuckles, "I forgot to all call my Dad but I'll call Ryan. He should be up. I'm thinking my house, but if you want to try yours, we can."

I contemplate it.

I would much rather stay at Peeta's parents house than with my mom, at lease until we straighten things out.

The only downside to Peeta's house is his mother is there.

"Can we just stay there? I am not ready to see my mother quite yet." I say, still angered by the past.

"Of course. When we get to town just keep following me, okay?" Peeta asks.

"Alright." I say yawn.

"Okay, see you in a little bit. I love you."

"I love you too." I say and hang up.

I look at the oncoming traffic ahead and stay focused physically, but mentally, my mind wanders to my mother.

It hasn't wondered there since we arrived in District Five so the feeling of anger I feel towards her is fresh.

I know I shouldn't still be upset with her about the past but it's hard.

I shrug and let out a loud, frustrated sigh.

Before I know it, we arrive.

I smile and remember all the good and bad times we have shared here.

I excitedly leap out of the car and over to Peeta's.

I run up to him happily and embrace him.

I am so excited to be back here, even though I know the next few months are going to be so rough for us.

I breathe the air from District Twelve, our home.

"I have never been so excited to be here, Peeta." I say as we walk up hand in hand.

Peeta chuckles, "Katniss, we are just at my parent's. There is nothing to be excited about yet." He says, smiling wide.

I can tell he's excited to be back, even if this isn't the ideal place to come back to.

"I know but I'm just so thrilled to be home." I say truthfully.

Peeta squeezes my hand, "I know, pretty girl. I am happy too." He says.

"Did you get to ask if we could stay?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I called my Dad and explained. He said it was fine except she's here." Peeta says.

Before I can reply, the door opens and I see, for the first time in months, Mr. Mellark.

His blue eyes light up, "Hey, you two!" Mr. Mellark says, hugging us both.

"Hi." I say a bit shyly.

Peeta wraps his arm around mine and we are welcomed inside.

They lead me to the couch in the living room and we all three sit down.

"Peeta told me what happened. I am so sorry about that Katniss."

I sigh, "That's alright." I shrug.