Chapter Ninety-Six

Katniss POV-

"Ma'am?" The older lady shakes me awake.

I open my eyes to find the nurse hunching over me, her hand on my shoulder.

I look up and open my sleep-craving eyes.

"What's wrong? Is Peeta okay?" I ask her in a panic.

The nurse smiles and pats my shoulder, "Yes, he is fine. Would you like to see him? My boss just left."

My heart races as I feel ecstatic to finally be seeing him.

"Yes. Please, can I see him now?" I choke out, jumping up.

The nurse takes a step back and nods, "Follow me. Remember, he's still really weak but I think if he sees you he will feel better. He hasn't been too good unfortunately."

My heart shatters. 

Peeta's been all alone in a hospital room for well over a day.

I didn't even know what was going on and his family couldn't even bother to drive ten minutes across town to help me get information or even see him, because I'm sure they could.

Some families we have.

"He's really weak so be quiet and gentle. Don't freak out or it may make him get worse. That's part of the reason you're not suppose to be in here. Any sudden change in his heart rate could not be good." She murmurs as she leads me into a tiny hospital room.

She unlocks the door with a tiny set of keys on a chain and quietly opens the door.

There I see him.

My Peeta Mellark.

Frail-looking, pale, and sickly.

His hand bandaged up more, with IVs running through his veins and monitors all over. He's even got oxygen.

Eyes closed tightly, the little light above him illuminating his blond eyelashes.

It takes all I have not to run over and attack him with hugs and 'I love you's'.

The nurse pulls a chair up to his bed for me to sit, so I do.

"Okay. From a previous injury he's had, he developed blood poison-"

"Could he die?" I ask her concerned, cutting her off even though I already know the answer.

"Well, yes. But I really don't think he will. Uh, how about you stay in here for a little bit and just talk to him? He's been awake off and on the past few days but he's just extremely weak."

I nod my head, "Can I hold his hand?" I ask softly.

The old lady nods her head slightly, "Yes, you do whatever you need to do to. I'm sorry about all the trouble with us not letting you see him, it's just since you're not actually his family yet, we can't legally share information. Not without his consent and he's been out of it."

I start, "His family wouldn't even come up here to help me get any information or to see him." I say, feeling sorry for Peeta.

The nurse frowns and looks at Peeta's sleeping face, "Where do they live?" She asks pitifully.

"About ten minutes away. There's four of them." I explain.

The nurse shakes her head, obviously feeling sorry for the blood poisoned boy laying before us.

"He seems like such a sweet kid."

"He is. I just wish his family genuinely cared about him, that's all he wants in life." I tell her as I look at my perfect Peeta Mellark.