Chapter Forty-Eight

Katniss POV- (6:00pm)

Peeta should be home any minute and I am so excited.

I haven't seen him in over two days if you count the day he left.

And boy do I count it.

It was two sleeps ago that I last saw him.

I sit on the couch and try to act as casual as possible but I have this overwhelming excitement bubbling up in me so I can't sit.

I pace back and forth, back and forth for minutes, hoping I look okay for someone who's done nothing but sleep and eagerly await his arrival.

I hear someone fiddling with the lock at the front door and my heart begins racing a hundred miles an hour.

As soon as Peeta turns the key and opens the door I can't control myself.

I run around the couch and fling myself into his arms.

"Peeta!" I say as he wraps his strong arms around me and picks me up.

I wrap my legs around his waist and arms around his neck as he spins me around.

He smiles softly, our foreheads are pressed tightly together and our noses touching too.

Our lips just inches from each other's.

"I missed you so much." I tell him truthfully.

His grip on my waist tightens, "I missed you too." He says.

I missed him more than I really even care to admit.

Seconds later, he gently sets me down but I keep my arms around his neck and his stay around my waist.

"Don't leave me again." I whisper to him.

Peeta shakes his head, "I already told my dad that next time, you're either coming with us or I'm not going." He tells me.

I smile, "I love you." I tell him.

He plants a kiss on the tip of my nose, "I love you too."

I smile and pull away from him slowly.

"I wont even lie, I was so lost without you." I tell him.

Peeta chukles, "You and me both."

I laugh and give him a cheesy grin.

"What's that?" He asks.

I throw my hands up excitedly, "Enthusiasm!" I say and smile wider.

"For what?" He asks with a grin.

I roll my eyes and laugh, "For my best friend and my fiancé to finally be back home." I say.

Peeta smiles and pulls me close to him, "I love you so much, Katniss. You don't even know how much I love you." He whispers softly to me.

I smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside, "Words can't describe how much I love you." I say.

"Let's go sit down." Peeta suggests.

I nod my head and hand in hand we walk to the couch, not even five steps away from the door.

Peeta sits down first and I sit next to him.

I bring my knees up and lean up against his shoulder with my head in the crook of his neck.

"What'd you do while I was gone?" He asks curiously.

I smile as I remember what I did do.

"I met a man." I say simply.

Peeta gives me a weird look, "Um, what?"