Chapter Sixty-One

Katniss POV-

Peeta is really quiet and looks really nervous and I'm not sure why.

"Okay, so after this year, you and I, we will be spending a lot of Christmases together and maybe one of these days spending Christmas with our own family and I thought we could start another tradition..." Peeta says quietly.

I nod my head and he takes my hand while he continues to stroll down the street, "That sounds like a perfect idea, Peeta. What do you have in mind?" I ask him.

"I thought we could go downtown and get some hot chocolate and then walk around town together." He says.

I think that sounds really fun.

"Sure, that sounds fun, Peeta." I say truthfully.

Peeta smiles and laughs nervously, "Then I thought while we walk, we can look at all the Christmas lights and decorations too. That's the tradition we can start." Peeta says, smiling more confidently.

I chuckle and hit his arm with mine, "Why are you so nervous?" I ask him.

Peeta smiles, "I don't know. It's our first Christmas alone and I am just excited. I want it to be perfect." He says, pulling up to the cafe in downtown District 12.

I smile admiringly at him, and we go inside hand in hand.

"Hello, how may I help you?" A guy asks.
Peeta smiles and looks at me, I nod, he knows what I want, "Two hot chocolates please, to go." Peeta asks nicely.

The man nods and grabs two styrofoam cups and pours hot chocolate into them. He caps them and hands them to us both.

"Thank you." Peeta and I say and Peeta hands him the money.

"Have a great night." He says and we walk out into the crisp air and Peeta takes my hand.
I hold my hot chocolate with my other hand.

"This is our third cup today, if we keep this up we are gonna have to walk the rest of winter." I tease him.

Peeta laughs, "It's quite possible."

We start walking down the street and Peeta sees a street, called 'Circle Drive'."

"Woah. Look at this street." Peeta says, pointing towards all the lights.

I smile and lay my head on his shoulder as we continue to stroll down the street.

I look and the whole street is completely decked out in Christmas lights and decor.

It's beautiful, a real sight to see.

We walk the circle together, sipping our coffee and pointing certain things out.

"Look at that." Peeta says, pointing to a house that's completely covered in white lights.

I point to another that has light up gingerbread men and snowmen too.

There's many Santa Clauses and reindeers too.

Candy canes and blowup snow globes.

"It's so beautiful." I say, squeezing his arm tightly.

Peeta smiles softly at me and we turn and come to another decorated street.

"We should put up lights one day." Peeta says.

"Yeah, that would be fun." I say happily.

Peeta and I continue to walk around District Twelve for about an hour and he stops us at the park.

The park has big slides, merry go rounds and swings too.

"Wanna swing?" Peeta asks.

I laugh a little, trying not to hurt his feelings.