Chapter Sixty-Six

Katniss POV- (The next day)

"Good morning." Peeta says looking across from me.

I smile, "Good morning." I say pulling the sheets up to my ears.

Peeta blinks his blonde lashes, "What do you wanna do today?" He asks.

I take his hand and hug it to my chest, "Let's go on a picnic." I say.

Peeta smiles, "Okay, but you know it's December, and it's cold. I should probably start looking for a new job, actually." He laughs.

I laugh, "I know but it will be fun and you can start looking in a few days." I say, kicking him from under the sheets.

"Hey!" Peeta chuckles.

"What?" I ask, acting as if to be innocent which I'm not.

"You know what." Peeta says, kicking me back gentler.

"So, was that a 'yes' or a 'no' to a picnic?" I ask.

"Yes." Peeta smiles.

I grin, "Can I teach you to shoot too?" I ask in hope.

Peeta raises his eyebrows, "If you want." He says unsure.

"I haven't done it since I was younger but I remember how." I tell him.

Peeta laughs, "Well, we will see about that." He jokes.

"What time is it?"

He turns around and clicks on his phone, "Eleven." Peeta says with wide eyes.

"We must've been tired." I laugh.

Peeta nods, "Well, we better start getting ready. Do you have your bow?" He asks.

I nod, "In the garage with some of my Dad's things my mother left me."

"Okay."

"I'll go to the garage and get it while you go pack us food." I say, jumping out of bed.

We both get dressed in some weather appropriate attire and head downstairs.

Peeta heads to the kitchen and I go out to the garage.

I haven't been out here alone in forever.

I walk up to a big tote that my mom left for me, it has some of my dad's things in it and some of my baby stuff.

Mainly our hunting stuff.

I open the dusty box and retrieve my father's bow and my quiver of arrows.

I run my fingers along shaft of an arrow and of the grip of the bow.

How can something I used to be so comfortable with, feel so alien?

I guess I'll just have to warm back up to it.

I go back inside with bow by my side and quiver on my back, I find Peeta has just finished packing our food and looks ready to go.

"You ready, my little huntress?" Peeta teases.

I roll my eyes, "Let's go." I say and grab the car keys off the dining room table.

We get everything in the car and head out.

"Where you taking us?" Peeta asks.

"A little place outside of the fence." I tell him.

Peeta nods nervously.

"It'll be fine. I used to leave the fence with my dad all the time and I do it alone sometimes."