Chapter Seventy-Five

Peeta POV- (A few hours later, still awake)

I know Katniss told me not to tell my brothers about what happened but I can see how much this hurt her, so I do it anyways.

For Katniss to just sit around and let those girls win, is crazy. It's even crazier if I allow it. They had no business putting Katniss down like that and they each have only been dating my brothers for a few weeks. It's ridiculous and a situation that should've never happened.

Katniss is perfect and I know that is the reason those girls pulled that, it was kind of like having two Delly Cartwright's in the room.

I don't see what my brothers like about them other than the sex. That's probably why all this started, those girls are jealous of Katniss.

Whatever the reason, it still infuriates me.

I turn off my phone to avoid any replies to my messages to my brothers during the night or early morning and throw it on the bedside table.

I carefully pull Katniss closer to my body and wrap my arm protectively around her. I bury my face into her long brown hair and close my eyes. In her sleep, she finds my hand and there it stays.

All night long.

I wake up to a bone chilling air on my back. I shiver and unwrap my body from Katniss's reposed one.

I turn over and see that it snowed and as usual, our window is cracked open letting in a cool breeze.

I quietly get out of the bed and shut the window. I look at the clock and see that it's seven in the morning and also Christmas Eve.

I quietly creep down stairs and begin making Katniss and I breakfast.

I make pancakes.

I get out the sprinkles, chocolate chips, maple syrup, chocolate syrup and even some whipped cream for Katniss to deck out her pancakes with.

Something special and out of the norm for Christmas, I guess.

I begin washing a dirty plate full of a buttery grease from the hot breakfast and a few minutes later, Katniss comes lugging herself into the kitchen on her crutches.

"How'd you get down here?" I ask her.

Katniss rolls her eyes, "Good morning to you too."

I can't help but grin, "Good morning. How'd you get down here?" I ask still confused.

Katniss smirks shyly, "I took these crutches and nearly strangled myself and almost fell several times but I managed down the stairs..."

"Katniss, don't go that again. Why didn't you just holler?" I ask, frustrated with her endangerment of herself.

"Because I'm tired of not being able to do anything on my own." Katniss states.

I smirk, "You only have a few more weeks until you're in a boot." I remind her.

Katniss scoffs, "Doesn't help me now, does it?" She mutters.

I grin and walk over to wear she stands on one leg, supported by her crutches.

I bring my lips to her forehead and plant a soft kiss on it. I see her smile, cheekbones squishing her eyes and all.

"You're such a brat, Katniss." I tease her.

Katniss shrugs her shoulders, "I know but that's okay." She shrugs and crutches past me to where her breakfast feast awaits.

"Dig in. I made some pancakes and I thought we could put all this sugar and stuff and make it special for Christmas Eve." I explain as her eyes widen at the large portions of sweets on our dining room table.

I chuckle and walk over and put a thick pancake on her plate and hand it to her. I serve myself a cake too as Katniss waits for me to begin.

"Go ahead, it's all for you." I nudge her.

Katniss's face softens and she begins placing chocolate chips and sprinkles and syrup of each kind and a mountain of whipped cream too.

After she begins, I serve myself much smaller portions of the stuff.

I can't help but smile at the amount of food she is consuming and how fast it's gone.

"You're gonna make yourself sick." I tease her.

Katniss shrugs, "It'll be okay. I rarely eat that many sweets but I have before, so I'll live." She says nonchalantly.

I laugh as I finish the remainder of my meal and begin cleaning up the messy kitchen and dining room.

"I forgot that it is Christmas Eve." Katniss blurts out as I wash off the table.

"Yeah, I thought I mentioned it earlier." I laugh, she shrugs.

"But I have some fun things for us to do tonight, if you feel up to it."

Katniss smiles, "Yeah, sounds fun." She murmurs.

I smile, "They're kind of cheesy but I know how much you love cheese so it's okay." I joke with her, this causes her early morning scowl into a grin and she even let's out a laugh.