Chapter Thirty-Eight

Katniss POV- (A few hours later)

"Goodbye. I'll see you all soon!" I say as the last of the group leaves our home.

Finnick and Annie decided to stay in a hotel since Peeta and I were fighting.

I shut the door and turn around to see Peeta standing there giving me an awkward look.

"What now?" I ask him.

Peeta just shrugs, "I don't know, I guess we just talk some more. We need to work it out better. I'd hate for us not to get anywhere and just make it worse later on."

I nod my head and gesture the couch, "Let's talk." I say.

I walk around the couch and Peeta follows.

I sit down criss crossed against the arm of the oblong couch and Peeta sits down one cushion down from me.

"Well, I saw Delly's text you were telling me about." Peeta starts.

I look down at the floor and back up at him.

"Katniss, that looked bad. I know that, I would probably react just as you did if not worse." Peeta says.

I nod my head and take a deep breath, "I'm sorry I didn't believe you." I start.

Peeta nods, "I don't blame you for your reaction."

I shake my head, "I guess it's because I don't want to lose you. I got jealous and maybe it's because you're the only person I have left in my life. You're the only one I can get mad at." I admit to him.

"Understandable. Please, never feel like I love you any less when I get frustrated. You're not exactly the easiest person to live with, you know." Peeta sighs.

I produce a crooked smile, "Yeah, I know." I say, about to cry.

Peeta grins, "But no matter how difficult you are, I still love you no matter what."

"Maybe that's why you want to marry me?" I suggest with a wink.

Peeta smiles, "Why's that?" He asks.

"Because you're not afraid of challenges." I say truthfully.

"And you're the biggest challenge of them all, huh?" Peeta jokes as our body inch closer together.

Slowly and just like that, our lips meet.

I can feel the heat between us rise.

I make my way into his lap and his hands find the small of my back.

My hands find his shoulders and that's where they rest, eventually, I push him down into a laying position, me on top.

We make more contact than we have in a long time.

I feel like every heated moment of our relationship cannot hold a flame to right now.

Every time I felt heat out of anger this week, cannot compare to the heat of this moment.

Right here.

Right now.

(The next morning)

I wake up, sweaty and stuck to Peeta.

I can feel his hip bones making contact with mine and our rib cages press together tightly.

His arms wrapped tightly around me, preventing me from rolling off.

I lay my head on his chest once again and hear my favorite thing.

The sound of his heart beating.

As usual, it immediately calms me down.

Just to know that he is alive and well just makes me so happy.

I feel so at ease when I hear his heartbeat.

I've actually made a habit of falling asleep with my head on his chest.

Just so I can listen all night long.

I remember last night.

I remember all the fun we had together and with the group, even after we fought.

Something I've learned from the past is the bad times don't last forever.

That was surely proven last night.