Chapter Sixty-Eight

Peeta POV-

I fall to my knees in defeat.

This isn't real.

This can't be real, this isn't happening.

I begin to cry into my hands.

It's happening.

It feels like an eternity that she is gone.

I sit in the waiting room feeling numb from the cold and the worry for hours until the doctor thar rushed her back, finally comes out.

"Sir. You may go see her now." He says.

I stand up, "Is she okay?" I ask him, concerned.

The doctor nods, "She fractured her leg pretty badly. Scraped it up. Not too big a deal thankfully." He says.

"Are you sure she is alright?"

"Has a pretty nasty wind burn on her cheeks and hands but we have a salve for it. You seem to have it too. Would you like some of it for your hands and face?"

"Not right now. Thank you." I say.

A nurse takes me to her.

Her face is no longer pale but bright red from the burn I assume.

Her eyes are closed tightly, her fingers red and chapped, just like her face.

I look down at her left leg and it's wrapped in a green cast.

I smile sadly and sit down next to her bedside.

I take her hand in mine and kiss it repeatedly and rub her chapped fingers.

"I'm so sorry this happened." I whisper softly to her.

I know it could've been a thousand times worse than this but it's still bad.

It was terrifying to experience but luckily, it's not as bad as it could have been.

A nurse comes in, "Did the doctor tell you everything?" She asks sympathetically.

I shrug, "He doesn't seem very talkative."

"He's the best doctor we have but his communication skills need some work." She says and comes and stands by my chair.

I look up at her, "Will she really be okay?" I ask.

The lady in blood covered scrubs nods her head, "Yes, she will be okay. Just can't walk on that leg for a few months. She will probably develop a bit of a cold from that weather though and you may too."

"It was like nothing I had ever seen before. One minute, it was clear and the next, the wind started blowing and snow and sleet came falling down faster than I had ever seen it fall before. And the wind was so loud and powerful." I explain.

"You're soaked. If you don't change clothes really soon, you risk getting pretty sick. More sick than a common cold." The nurse informs me.

"I'm not leaving until she does." I state.

The nurse just shakes her head, "You know we had to knock her out just to keep her still."

My heart stops, "What?" I ask.

"She was close to passing out anyways but the drugs would help her relax and stay out longer so she wouldn't feel a thing."

I look down and see blood stained on the nurses blue scrubs.

I point to the blood on her scrubs and she frowns, "She just busted the skin when she fell and I had to patch it up. There will just be a little scar." She says.