Chapter Twenty-Eight

Katniss POV-

Before I know it, Peeta and I have the entire four bedroom, two bathroom house filled with our things.

The kitchen is filled with all of Peeta's cooking supplies.

Our fridge has been installed and Mom left the dishwasher and oven/stove thankfully.

We have the living room set up kind of the way we had our apartment.

The long couch, along the entry way of the house by the window and the love seat just in front of the window.

The tv is in the nook above the fireplace just as my mother had hers.

My, I mean our bedroom has the large bed and our old/new comforters, sheets, and pillows.

We have a nightstand on each side of the bed just as before.

Above the bed, instead of above the couch this time, we place our dandelion pictures.

With a lot of convincing, I finally got Peeta to set up my mothers old bedroom into an art studio for him. He said it didn't feel right but I insisted, he deserves it.

In the old guest bedroom, we put in a bed and a little desk for whoever.

Unfortunately, Peeta and I are sadly surprised to find Primrose's room exactly how she left it.

I suppose my mother decided to keep it all intact.

That's what Peeta and I decide to do too.

It would feel wrong to change it.

Especially since Prim was so organized and picky about her room.

I sit down on the couch and wait for Peeta to come and he soon does.

"Finally done." Peeta says, sitting down next to me.

I look at him, his blonde hair is all ruffled in a mess.

His eyes look tired but he still smiles, "I love you, Peeta."

He smiles and leans back into the couch.

"I love you too." He says.

"It's 12:50am already." I say looking at my phone.

Peeta comes out of his sleepy daze, "I can tell." He chuckles sleepily.

I smile and come to my feet, putting my hands outward and he takes them.

I pull him up and into my arms.

I embrace him and bury my face in his chest.

I can still smell the bread he baked me this morning and I laugh, remembering that he use to smell this way all the time.

"You smell like bread."

He smiles, shrugging his shoulders.

I can just see how tired he is and I know we better get to bed.

"Let's go to bed." I say.

Peeta and I lug ourselves up the staircase and into my old room.

I strip into my bra and panties and Peeta strips his shirt and puts on some pajama pants.

Just as Peeta gets into bed, I turn out the light and run across the room and into the bed like I did when I lived in this room alone.

I remember doing this all the time when I was little and even before I left.

I haven't done it since I've been out of this house but now that I am back, I guess it's just habit.

Peeta grins at me, "Katniss, nothing is going to get you."

I smile slyly, "I know but I just do it." I say.

"You've never done it except in this room, you know?" Peeta laughs, shaking his head tiredly.

I laugh, "I know." I say.

"You used to do it when I would come over, you just thought I didn't notice." Peeta says and I can hear the smile in his voice.

"It's because you were a sweet boy and didn't say anything."

I turn from my back and face Peeta who is laying on his side.

"You know, we always spent so long staying away from each other like this, especially in this room. Now we live together and we sleep in the same bed and see more of each other than before and it's just really funny." I say, taking his hand in mine.

"It is. And that's how you know we matured and made it far." Peeta says confidently.

Here we are in my old bedroom laying in our underwear or minimal clothing.

We are cuddling and no one can stop us.

We fall asleep face to face and hand in hand and my legs intertwined with his and our foreheads touching.

I felt so safe and happy.

Like nothing could go wrong.

Peeta just makes me feel so safe and secure without even trying and I'm so comfortable around him.

Maybe that's why I sleep so well next to him.