Chapter Fifty-Seven

Peeta POV- (A few days later)

After I got off work, I took Katniss to town to get our Christmas decorations.

We bought a huge tree.

A nine foot one to be exact.

We decided to get a fake one, just so there wouldn't be such a big mess after.

And we bought white lights to put on it too.

I took Katniss to the craft store and we bought paint and about 30 clear Christmas bulbs too.

Katniss and I decided that I would decorate her green ones and she would make me orange ones.

Fifteen of each.

"Here, let's put up the tree." I say as we finish the ornaments.

Katniss smiles and we go back into the living room.

I carefully open the large box and pull out the tree stand and 8 foot tall bottom piece.

Katniss takes the tree stand and places it in the living room by the kitchen wall.

I pick up the heavy bottom half of the tree and place it in the stand and secure the bottom.

Katniss retrieves the top portion of the tree and attaches it to the bottom portion.

Together, we string lights all over the tree.

"Let's go get the ornaments." Katniss tells me.

I nod and we head into the kitchen to retrieve the thirty green and orange bulbs.

"Hey, we should make a tradition." Katniss says.

I smile, "What is that?" I ask.

"Do you have any white paint or a maker we can write on these with?" She smirks.

I nod, "Let me go get some white paint and some tiny brushes." I say, running upstairs to my art room.

I quickly grab white temper paint and two fine tipped brushes and run back down stairs.

"Here." I say, handing her a brush and squirting a dime sized amount of paint on a palette.

"Okay, I'll make it really cute and stuff for you and then you make me one. Put the year." She tells me.

I smile and decorate the green bulb with paisley patterns and put the year like she said.

"Here." We say in unison, both happening to be done at the same time.

I hand mine to her and she hands me mine.

I hold it up, it says my name in beautiful letters and has bunch of little hearts painted all around the bulb and the date on the back.

I hug her tightly, "This is really good, Katniss." I say truthfully.

Katniss is actually a really good artist, she just doesn't think so.

"Thank you, Peeta. Mine is beautiful." She says, admiring the ornament.

"Ready to go hang them?" I ask.

Katniss nods eagerly and grabs the box filled with the ornaments, we take turns placing bulbs throughout the tree and we take a step back when we are finished.

The green tree with the brighter green and orange bulbs and the bright white lights all comes together surprisingly nice.

"Wow." Katniss says, wrapping her arms around my waist as we admire our work.

I smile proudly, "It looks great." I say happily.

"So, every year we can paint each other an ornament and hang it." Katniss says.

I nod, "Maybe one year, will have about 160 altogether." I tell her, doing the math.

Katniss' eyes grow wide, "We have about 80 years together if everything goes as planned." I say.

She stares at the tree.

I tighten my grip on her, "It will." I assure her though there's no telling.

"I hope we are married that long." Katniss smiles softly.

I lean down and kiss her head, "Me too." I tell her.

Katniss grins, "I can't wait, Peeta. It will be so much fun."

I rub her shoulder with my hand.

"Peeta, we forgot one thing on our tree." Katniss says, looking up.

I shrug, "What?" I ask.

"A star." Katniss says.

I smile, "I forgot about that. We can get one first thing in the morning." I assure her.

Katniss nods, "Okay. Hey, I'm ready for bed." She yawns.

"Me too." I say, yawning back.

Katniss yawns immediately after me and we both share a laugh.

"Let's go." I say, taking her hand and together we creak up the white staircase.

Finally, I turn off the lights and we crawl into bed.

"Goodnight, Peeta. Thank you for today, I really enjoyed it." Katniss says, putting her head on my chest.

I wrap my arms around her, "I did too, goodnight. I love you." I tell her smiling widely.

Katniss snuggles deeper into the blanket and my body, "I love you too." She exhales.