Chapter 16: The Letter

Chapter 16:

The Letter

▲▽▲△▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲△▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲

Imogen squirmed under his gaze. She knew what he was going to say and she really didn't want to hear it again. "Look, Scott already told me what Uncle Ben said and I'm sure he told you..."

"Just tell me exactly what it was that you were planning on doing?" Omar looked a bit angry as he stared at her. "Did you even have a plan? I know that you love your uncle and trust me when I say that I know what it's like to lose the last of your family. When my mom died, I was alone. Or at least I thought I was alone but I have a brother and you still have family left."

She wanted to argue with him just like she had with Scott earlier in the day. She recalled the conversation with Derek but he still had a sister and uncle. She didn't have anyone who was there growing up. Peter might be her biological father but Ben had raised her. And Malia and her weren't close, they might be one day but it would be a while before that happened. "But..."

"You think that bringing him back will make it better? It won't. He made the choice to die so you could have a life and you heard Scott, Ben wants you to let him go. It's hard but it's the only way you'll be able to move forward."

"I don't know if I can." She whispered, deep down knowing he was right. But it was still hard for her to come to terms sometimes that Ben was gone. She knew she couldn't grieve him forever.

"You can start by reading that letter he left you." Omar said softly before leaving her room, allowing her time to herself.

.
▷▷▷
.

Imogen stared at the letter in her hand, her heart beating faster with each second that passed. She had taken the letter from her desk where she had left it, unable to bring herself to open it.

She had spent all week trying to bring herself to open the envelope and pull out the letter and read its contents.

With a shaky breath, she opened the letter, reading over the letter carefully, despite the tears in her eyes.

Dear Imogen,

I don't even know where to begin... Or how long I should make this letter. There are still so many things that I wish I could say or write but I don't have much time before Omar does the spell.

What I can say is that I love you and that raising you was the greatest gift I could ever get. I'd like to think that even if your mother was still around, you and I would still be close.

I know that when you wake up, I'll be gone. I just hope that one day you can forgive me for taking your place and that you won't feel guilty. Your still a kid even if you think your not. It's why I'm choosing to do this. You still have your whole life ahead of you. You deserve to live it to the fullest.