Draco Malfoy- Overwhelming (h)

You'd never really imagined getting into a relationship that people would have an issue with, and you couldn't really get your head around people protesting so badly to a relationship.

However, as soon as you and Draco announced your engagement the backlash was overwhelming.

Whilst you were a pureblood you weren't from a very affluent pureblood family and combine that with the fact that the Malfoys were public enemy number one after changing sides during the war – people weren't too happy with the whole thing.

You couldn't believe the slander the papers were writing about your soon to be in-laws, yes, they had made mistakes and done bad things, but they had tried so hard to right their wrongs.

And quite a few people still held a grudge against Draco for how he acted whilst the two of you were in school – he was terrible to everyone, and he knew that, but he was making progress.

The two of you had decided to go into Diagon Alley to look for some items to decorate your new flat with.

You had looped your arm through Draco's elbow, and he rested his hand over yours as you walked.

"I know you don't know too much about muggle fashion and décor Draco, but I do!" you told him excitedly, having been sent the muggle magazines by one of your old friends from school. "We're living in Wizarding apartments yes, but I want to decorate it like the muggles!"

Draco couldn't help but smile at your excitement, whilst neither of you had any connection to the muggle world you had been brought up to embrace it – leading people to believe your family as blood traitors – and so Draco was learning to embrace it alongside you.

You smiled up at him and he felt his heart clench, he had no clue how he'd even managed to get you to go on a date with him let alone agree to spend the rest of your life with him.

He leant down to kiss the top of your head. "Whatever you want love, we'll find it."

Before you could say anything else, a shout of horrid slurs came from one of the shops you walked past.

The things they said made your throat constrict and your heart began to beat loudly in your chest.

Draco sighed as he ignored the slurs, trying to gently steer you away from the wizard who had yelled to you.

As he steered you away, more slurs were shouted from other people and it became increasingly overwhelming – you should've been used to it, you should've been able to have a thick skin, but it was just too hard.

Draco realised how much it was affecting you, so he made the quick decision to apparate you back to the Manor, where the two of you were living for the time being.

"Love?" he questioned once the two of you had landed just outside the front door.

You were gripping Draco's robes but as far as he could tell you weren't crying.

He tried to gently release your death grip and when he did, he lifted your chin so that you were looking up at him. "I don't want you to worry about them," he told you in a soft tone. "I will protect you, now and for the rest of our lives – even against the spiders in the shower."

You laughed at Draco's words but the sentiment behind them meant a lot to you. "I just want them to leave us alone, we can't even go into a store without getting horrid looks."

Sighing he pulled you tightly into his arms. "People will believe what they want to believe love, we cannot change their minds."

"Maybe we'll win them over?"

Draco chuckled but shook his head. "There's no need for us to win them over, we don't know them, and they don't know us – they know what they read in the Prophet – the people that are important to us know what we want them to know."

You smiled up at him again, feeling relieved that Draco was so wise over the situation. "We're still getting married, right?"

"Nothing could ever stop me from becoming your husband love," he leant down to kiss you after he'd spoken. "I'm yours for life."

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.