five; knock knock

Charlotte had woken up about five minutes ago

Charlotte had woken up about five minutes ago. No one had come into the room yet, no doctors, nurses or any of her friends. Charlotte had expected Angela to be in here with her, but she knew that she would have a good reason as to why she wasn't. Besides she had only known the girl for a few weeks, she didn't need to be there for her right now.

Charlotte took her time to look around the room. It was sickly white, which was weird, Charlotte liked the colour white but this one turned her stomach.

The pale green and slightly blue knitted sofa next to her looked like it was around twenty years old, and she was sure if she tapped it all kinds of dirt and dust would fly from it.

The walls were stained, god only knows what by, but it didn't look very pleasant. Charlotte hoped that the childrens ward was better than this, she'd hate to think her mother spent all her time in rooms like this.

After it became clear that no one would be coming into her room, she started patting the bed trying to find the buzzer so someone could come and tell her what was going on. Of course she could of gotten up to find someone, but that sounded too much like hard work.

Once Charlotte had gently pressed the button it was only a few seconds until a nurse in a blue uniform came into the room.

"Hi sweets, you okay?" The nurse seemed like a kind lady and Charlotte would have normally given the middle aged woman a large and bright smile, however she just didn't feel like one right now. So instead she just shook her head at the woman, then opened her mouth to explain what was wrong but then realised no words would come out, her mouth was too dry. Luckily the nurse must have noticed this as she walked over to the bed side table to pass her a glass.

After taking two large gulps Charlotte put the glass down and thanked the nurse who smiled in return. "What's wrong with me?"

"You hit your head pretty hard and there was a tiny drop of blood from it, but that's about it. Your mother checked over you and gave you the all clear, you gave her quite the fright though. Anyone would have thought you'd have died the way she was acting." Charlotte let out a quiet laugh at this, her mother was a stress head when it came to anything, never mind her daughter.

You couldn't blame her though. Charlotte was all April had. She was only young when she was born, Charlotte's father having left a few years ago. There wasn't really much back in England for the pair, they only had each other.

"How come I passed out?"

"Your mother thinks it was from shock, says nothing like this has happened to you before." That was true, Charlotte had only ever had one broken bone, and that was when she fell down the stairs when she was a toddler. Of course she couldn't remember that now though. "Is it okay if I ask you a few things? I can come back and do it later if you want."