twenty five; a change of heart

"Mr Embry Call!

"Mr Embry Call!

Charlotte jumped out of Edward's car, running up to the tanned boy and throwing herself into his arms.

They hadn't really seen each other much recently, partly because Charlotte was trying to spend as much time with her human friends as she could- and largely because Embry had been avoiding her. 

The fault with that was no one could really avoid Charlotte. Before her uncle was served with a restraining order against them and a few others, he taught her a few things.

"How are you this fine day?" Charlotte pulled away, placing a kiss on Embry's cheek as she did so.

Edward grumbled at her actions. He knew their relationship was strictly platonic, but that didn't mean he wanted to see her give him a kiss, even if it was on the cheek.

"Better now your here" Charlotte pulled a face at Embry's words, very aware he was just trying to annoy the vampire stood behind her, "What've you brought the leech for?"

"It's nearly his feeding time."

Charlotte thought it would have been a funny joke, but Edward and Embry's sigh told her that joking about him drinking blood wasn't actually funny.

"I wanted to say thank you."

Edward walked up behind Charlotte, pulling her into his chest while he spoke to Embry.

"Isn't that nice of him, Em?"

These were too of the most important people in her life and all Charlotte wanted was for them to get along.

"Thank me for what?" Embry was just being awkward, he could of easily accepted the thanks and moved on.

"For keeping Charlotte alive when I didn't." It was clear Edward was hating this conversation, he was hating even being near Embry. But he hated having to thank him even more.

"No, you didn't. And it wasn't for your benefit, trust me."

"I'm still grateful, I'm not going to leave her side now until she orders me away."

Charlotte, the angel on her shoulder and the devil on her other shoulder were all rolling their eyes as hard as they could. She didn't need them to save her, she was perfectly fine by herself.

"We'll see about that."

The girl would rather be having another conversation with Aro than be here for Edward's one with Embry. There were more benefits to that one: eg not having to listen to this conversation.