twenty four; fine line

"The first place he'll go is your house

"The first place he'll go is your house. He'll be able to track your scent there."

Charlotte shot up in her seat, her expression turning to one of horror "What? Edward my mums there!"

"I know." He replied far too calmly for her liking.

"Then we have to do something about it!"

"And we will."

"You are far too calm for this." His calmness did nothing to settle Charlotte. In fact it put her on edge. This was a life or death situation, this was nothing to be relaxed over. This was a panic situation. And Edward, the biggest stress head of all, should probably be stressed.

"Because I know it's going it work out, I won't let him hurt you. I'll never let anyone hurt you." They were sweet words, but Charlotte could not put her trust in them. Edward could not guarantee her safety.

Why would he keep her so safe when they weren't even a couple?

"Edward?" A hum was given as a reply "What are we?" Maybe the time wasn't right but if she was going to die she wanted to at least know if she had a boyfriend or not.

"I'm your boyfriend."

"Really? Because I don't remember you asking."

"I think when you're over 100 years old its a bit childish to ask." Charlotte hummed at this.

"Well I think that being over 100 years old and having a girlfriend is rather childish." Edward couldn't argue with her as she did have a good point, he was a bit old to have a girlfriend. "Criminal behaviour if you ask me."

It was bit dodgy. But it's not like it could be helped.

The rest of the ride was spent in silence, Charlotte wasn't sure where they were going and Edward was too busy thinking about how she would react when he told her what she would have to do.

Everyone knew how much Charlotte loved her mother, she was the only person Charlotte really had for a long time. The two weren't just mother and daughter, but also best friends. It would never be an easy thing to do, but there was no other way.

"Are we going to my house?" The voice didn't sound as happy as it did before, the reality of the situation looked to be kicking in.

"Yeah." Edward kept his reply short, he didn't want to do this either.

"Do I have to?" At first he thought she was referring to actually going home but after a quick scan of her thoughts he understood that she too knew what needed to be done. Charlotte was smart.