five; a fall from grace

It was late on a December night, the air as cold as it is in Winter

It was late on a December night, the air as cold as it is in Winter. But the girl didn't care, she could hardly feel it.

She stumbled along the road, heels in her hand, bare feet scrapping along the wet road underneath them. She didn't care about the small stones that would poke at her.

A car pulled up alongside her, but she didn't stop for it. It was the same thing that happened every night, she knew exactly who it was and exactly what would happen next.

"Get in the car, Charlotte."

"No thank you, I'm quite enjoying my stroll." Her words came out slurred and littered with hiccups, she was clearly out of it.

"Really? Because I've been following you for twenty minutes and it seemed to me you were struggling."

"Don't know why you'd think that, Joe."

"Because you had to sit down for ten of those twenty minutes and have a swig of whatever was in the bottle."

"What bottle? I don't have a bottle." She threw her arms out, dropping her shoes in the process. Finally stopping her walking.

"The one you left in the grass back there."

Charlotte spun around looking at the grass she'd walked past. " I don't remember doing that." She muttered to him.

"Probably because you're so pissed that you can't even walk straight." 

"That's not true."

Joe pointed at the white line along the middle of the road "Walk along that."

So, illuminated by the lights of the cop car she walked along the line. Although not very well.

"Just get in the car, Charlotte."

She dragged her feet along to the passenger side of the car, singing as she did so.

"Quiet night, Joe?"

"No. Charlie just sends me to get you every night." It was the same routine every night, the same conversation.

"Isn't that sweet of him? He really is the best step dad I could ask for." Joe ignored Charlottes comment, instead turning his head to look at her body that was slouched facing him.

"When are you gonna stop doing this, Charlotte?" He had formed quite a bond with her in the weeks that he'd been picking her up from the side of the road.