twenty two; play ball

"Cheese or ham?"

"Cheese or ham?"

"Mmmm....both?"

"Sure."

Charlotte was starving, she'd never been this starving in her life. It was nervous hunger. Which meant she was on her third toastie of the day, the first being just cheese, the second being ham and the third now being both.

It wasn't her fault she was nervous, who wouldn't be when going to a baseball match played by literal vampires? She'd never been to an actual baseball game before, she presumed it was like cricket or rounders. Both of which she was shocking at and found incredibly boring.

"What are your plans for today, Mama?" She asked the small woman who was stood at the other end of the marble white island where she was making Charlotte's toasties for her.

"I have a date." April stated proudly.

A shriek sounded from the opposite end of the island, the sound of a chair being pushed back and then feet jumping up and down. "A date! Oh my God! Where? Who with? When?"

April didn't turn around to look at her daughter who she could hear freaking out behind her. She just focused on the George Foreman with a smile on her lips "Later today. A soup kitchen. And Charlie Swan."

If Charlotte was drinking a cup of tea, she would have spat it everywhere; the walls, the chairs, the table, the island, her mother, everything. "Charlie Swan? Charlie fucking Swan?" She would never in a million years have put her mother with the Chief of police.

"Watch your language, Charl. But yes, Charlie Swan. I've met him a few times at work. I just thought 'why not?' and asked him if he was free sometime." Charlotte had never heard her mum sound so, carefree?

"But mum, he's so... awkward and quiet... and just so not you." She had met Charlie when she went round to Bella's one time the other day, he was a lovely man don't get her wrong and not bad looking. But he wasn't her mums type.

"He's cute. He's awkward and nervous around me, it's adorable."

"I met him at Bella's the other day. They're practically identical people, but Bells says that Charlie finds it hard to talk to her and that they just can't seem to bond. I think most of it's probably her fault, but maybe you could help with that." Charlotte wanted Bella to have a good relationship with her dad, she wished she had one with hers and if Bella had the opportunity to have one then Charlotte would try everything to make it happen.

"I know, we spoke about it briefly when he asked if you were my daughter." April was giving very short answers, normally she would be rambling for ages on subjects like this. She'd forced every piece of information she could about Edward out of her daughter.