fourteen; side effects

Doctor officers were a place that Charlotte never liked to visit

Doctor officers were a place that Charlotte never liked to visit. She would try to visit as little as possible, they made her so uncomfortable. Normally she'd just have April check on her, but sometimes there were things her mum just couldn't deal with.

Like when Charlotte wanted to start birth control when she was fourteen, it wasn't that she was sexually active, she just experienced bad pains and back ache.

Although the pill had its downsides too, she started to go through terrible mood swings, an increased appetite and she'd started to suffer from headaches.

That was as bad as it got. Or so she thought.

A few weeks ago

Charlotte stared at the doctor who was tapping away on her files, just making sure Charlotte's medical history was up to date.

She wished the doctor would just hurry up, all she wanted to do was make sure everything was fine and then go on her way to meet her friends.

For some reason Charlotte was very confident that everything was going to be okay, because everything always was. She'd been so hurt by James and she'd still been good, her arm was barely even hurt after Jasper. So now wouldn't be any different.

"So Miss Smith, you're here for the results, yes?" The doctor finally turned to look at her, Charlotte found comfort in the fact that the woman kind of looked like Viola Davis.

She loved Viola Davis.

"Yeah so if I could just grab em and go." Charlotte laughed nervously.

"Have your 'symptoms' been the same?"

"Er yeah, I've still not really been eating that much, I'm still constantly tired, my back still aches like all the time and well... I've still been... bleeding?"

Dr Walcott nodded her head, "I thought they would."

"Why'd you think that?" Charlotte jumped on her straight away, her statement making her nervous.

"You know how you've been taking the pill for a long time, Miss Smith?" Charlotte hated the tone of her voice, she'd heard April use it before when talking to patients. Not trusting her voice she just nodded her head. "Were you told of the side effects?"

"Blood clots, mood swings, headaches. That sort of thing."

The doctor nodded her head along with Charlottes words "You see, the pill that you're on increases the risk of a few things; heart attacks, strokes, gallbladder disease and cervical cancer."