nineteen; detective hale

"So you moved over here from where?" Edward rolled his eyes at Esme's question, he had told her every single thing he knew about Charlotte thousands of times

"So you moved over here from where?" Edward rolled his eyes at Esme's question, he had told her every single thing he knew about Charlotte thousands of times. She knew where the girl was from. However there was humour in his action, he knew his 'mother' was just being kind and wanted Charlotte to know she was interested in getting to know her.

The girl perked up in her seat next to Edward, home was a subject that she could talk about forever, it may hold some bitter memories, but there was some amazing ones there too. "England, born and raised." Charlotte nodded her head at the last part, a small laugh falling from her lips.

Before Esme could ask any more questions, Rosalie unfortunately interrupted "Why did you move?" The blondes eyes didn't move from the gingers figure, she watched how her shoulders tensed and her aura changed. Rosalie had been wondering how she could find a flaw in Charlotte for the two hours she'd been there.

Until now she had seemed flawless.

"Mum got a job offer." Her answer was short, not giving much away.

"There were no jobs in England?" Charlotte met the vampires gaze now, her confident facade returning.

"Don't be silly, of course there was." A small forced laugh fell from Charlotte's lips, trying so hard not to sound passive aggressive.

"Why didn't she get one of them then?"

"Didn't want it."

"Why not?"

"Charlie, don't answer. Just ignore Rosalie, I do." It seemed Edward had grown tired of Rosalie's behaviour, judging by the faces of everyone else in the room, they had too.

A scoff left the lips of Rosalie, all eyes turning back to her. "Oh, sure. Lets pretend-"

"Rosalie, enough." Esme was embarrassed by Rosalie the second she had opened her mouth, but she had feared that telling her to stop would only make it worse. You only get one chance at a first impression.

Now it wasn't that Rosalie wanted to be rude or mean, she just wanted to know the truth about Charlotte Olivia Smith. It was weird, why had she moved here? Why would she leave her friends, a school, a life? And why would her mother leave a house, a job, and the place they loved?

The pay couldn't be that much better.

"Edward, how about that house tour?" Alice had been dying for Charlotte to have a house tour, after all, she did have a hand in a bit of the design. That and it would mean she would get to see her rather large walk-in wardrobe, something she knew Charlotte would be jealous of.