twenty three; mommys little girl

The first thing Charlotte noticed when she pulled up at her house was both of the Swan's cars in front of the house, it was always a large possibility they were going to be here, but a small part of Charlotte had hoped they wouldn't be

She couldn't help but panic, she had practiced in the mirror, in the shower and while she was getting dressed how she would tell them. However, that was all pretend. It didn't even come close to the real thing.

"Charlotte, look at me" Edward gently placed a cold hand against her equally cold face, "It's okay, we're here with you." His thumb moved slowly in circles, "You say the words and we'll turn around now, we'll go do something, anything you want. It's your choice."

Charlotte was so tempted to say yes, she wanted more than anything to just go back to the comfort of Esme and all the other Cullens.

She couldn't though. It wasn't fair to steal valuable time away from Charlie, Bella and April. They at least deserved the chance to say goodbye properly, before it was too late.

"I'm okay." Two small words that were the biggest lie.

She seemed to be saying that a lot lately, at first it was the truth. Now it was just for the benefit of everyone else, even if it was a lie.

"Shall we go then?" Rosalie opened her car door, breaking up the tender moment but knowing the longer they stayed in the car, the more likely it was they'd turn around and leave.

"Yep, it's fine."

"It is fine." Rosalie agreed.

"Yeah it is."

Charlotte was stalling, it was very clear. It was one of her favourite things to do, however in the long run it never worked.

The walk up to the house felt like it lasted forever, it was pure torture. Every step felt harder to take than the one before. The only comfort was the arm Rosalie had slid through Charlotte's

Unfortunately for the three of them the walk only got worse when Charlotte realised she didn't have a key with her, and the front door was locked. Obviously it was locked, Charlie was so paranoid about thieves.

"Oops, looks like I'll have to knock."

The poor human was getting more and more awkward, a clear sign to her two companions that she was shitting bricks.

As if the day couldn't get any worse, Charlie opened the door instead of April.

It wasn't him opening the door that was a bad thing, it was him being the first to see two of the people he hated most in the world on the doorstep. Charlie was a man of very few words, his face always managed to tell a thousand.