twenty three; a game of cat and mouse

"You guys ready to play?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Ah ah ah, you're not playing." Edward grabbed Charlottes shoulders, stopping her from moving towards Jasper who stood with a bat in his hands.

"But look!" She protested unzipping the jacket and showing Edward her attire, causing Emmett to let out a large laugh from behind him.

"One) You're a human who happens to be very fragile, two) You can't walk up the stairs without getting tired, three) You hate every kind of sport."

"Thats not true I like... dancing." Charlotte muttered quietly to Edward.

"Thats not a sport." Emmett replied walking up and putting his arm round her and patting her on the head.

"It is when you're as good as me." She swatted his arm away from her head, not wanting to be pet like a dog.

"You're not good......you're also umpire." A hat was placed on her head by Edward, hats weren't really her thing but she wasn't about to go against a group of vampires.

"Umpire? Who wants to be umpire, that's like-"

"-it's okay you're with me." A friendly voice sounded from next to Carlisle, it unmistakably being Esme.

Charlotte quickly changed her tune. "Umpiring with my favourite mother of vampires? Sign me up!" Emmett's arm was pushed off of Charlottes shoulder and was replaced with Esme's softer one. "Will they not let you join in either?" She whispered to the caramel haired vampire.

"No, they just need an even number." Although Esme said it in a sweet tone Charlotte couldn't help but think that if they both played then it'd still be an even number.

"Did you play any sports before, Esme? You know before the whole blood sucking thing."

It didn't go unnoticed by Charlotte how Esme's smile faulted at her question which immediately made her feel bad, she didn't know the circumstances around Esme's turning or anything about her human life.

"When I was a little girl I did. Not when I got to their age." She nodded over to the rest of the clan who were just tossing the ball between them.

Charlotte laughed lightly trying to lift the mood a little, nudging her elbow into the woman's side. "I wouldn't expect you to be playing sports at 170 anyway." Although Charlotte had tried to cheer her up it didn't seem to work. Charlotte always knew when someone wasn't feeling them self. "Do you want to talk about it?"