four; a family reunion

Sacramento

Sacramento

April Smith had taken the news of Charlotte going to Sacramento surprisingly well. It had taken a few moments for her to process, but once she had she was slightly happy. She wanted Charlotte to have a relationship with her father after all.

Charlotte had tried to contact her father to let him know she was coming, but she couldn't find details of him anywhere. It was like he'd dropped off the face of the earth - although, that wasn't a bad thing. Now that Charlotte was here, she was sure she wanted to see him at all.

That didn't stop her from imagining what would happen if they did see him though, "Do you think he'll say sorry?"

It was the same question she'd asked everyone when she'd told them where she was going, she was obsessed with an apology.

"I'm not sure, Lottie. Do you want him to?" Edward held onto Charlotte's hand as he looked out of the plane window, he had offered the seat up to her, however her fear of flying meant she declined the seat. It also meant she had to grip his hand as tight as she could, not that he minded.

"I don't know really.... I have such great memories of him, but I have such bad ones too." Charlotte took a long pause, squeezing Edwards hand impossibly tighter, "I think... I think I just want what everyone else has."

"What's that?" Edward had a feeling he knew what Charlotte meant, but he just wanted to be 100% sure.

"That happy family thing. Don't get me wrong, I have that at home with mum, Charlie and Bella. But this is my dad, my real dad.... As much as I want to hate him forever, I just remember how happy I was growing up.... and you know 'bloods thicker than water'."

Edward knew where was coming from, he'd read many peoples minds who were feeling the exact same thing. It was almost unexplainable, and he knew Charlotte had tried her hardest to put it into words.

"It's okay that you still love him."

"Really? Even though he's horrible?"

"I've done horrible things and you still love me." Edward countered, he couldn't really think of anything else to compare it to.

"Harry did horrible things but Karen still loved him." Charlotte wasn't looking at Edward as she spoke, her eyes were just staring into space.

"Who?" Now her head whipped round to him, she couldn't believe Edward had just asked her who.

"Who? Are you serious? Karen and Harry... From Love Actually, Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman... Harry cheats on Karen with Mia.... Have I not forced you to watch it yet?"