Story Mode 32: Fluffy Stuffed Animals

───────────〔✿〕───────────

"Wow," Ray breathes out excitedly as the sun sets at the top of the busy hill street. In the time that they had spent reading in the bookstore, many booths had set up on the wide street and even more people scatter about. They watch the sun go down in a warm silence as they linger off to the side of the sidewalk, standing in a small block of grass. The lanterns strung from booth to booth light up one by one setting the growing darkness off with bright orange festivity.

Y/n stands at his side and smiles. "Ready?"

"Yes."

The first booth Y/n and Ray find themselves at is manned by an older man with his sleeves rolled up to his shoulders with his muscled arms on full display. His arms zoom back and fourth across his grill as he turns the skewers on his grill while serving customers. "It smells really good," Ray comments off handedly.

"Oh I'll go grab us some!" Y/n offers ready to step up into the large crowd to get in line. Ray captures her wrist and she stops in her tracks, turning instead back to him. He looks away and releases her hand. Y/n grins, "Or, why don't we just keep checking out other booths."

Together, they walk down the streets. In order to get past the flocks of people and large families passing by on both sides of them, Ray falls behind her so that they navigate the crowd in a single file line. "Ray!" Y/n shouts over the noise of the people's chatter as she spots a game booth. "Let's try this."

"Okay," Ray helps Y/n step down the curb and break away from the most busy part of the crwods. A small park had been converted into an eating area with all kinds of game booths. Lots of couples and families hang out together, one of which playing on the machine that Y/n's pointing to. "You want to do the claw machine?"

"Yes!" Y/n walks slightly ahead of Ray and gets in line behind a mom and daughter as they mess with the machine. The little girl on the mother's hip clenches her mother's shirt tightly in one hand and presses her hand to the glsss with the other as she watches a small white bunny go up within the claw only to fall back frown.

The child begins to sob immediately and the young mother smiles and whispers a small apology to Y/n and Ray.  "C'mon baby, when we get home I'll play with you and your other stuffed animals okay?" She smiles as she walks away, the small girl still sniffling in her chest. "Let's go find your Dad and brother."

Y/n and Ray snap their eyes from the woman and to each other for a second, neither one sure what to say. Ray is the first to speak up. "Cute kid."

Y/n nods and tries her hand at the claw machine. It's the one arcade game that she's good at. "Would you ever want to have kids?" Y/n asks as she guides the claw to be just to the right of an exposed stuffed animal. She presses the button to drop the claw.

"I don't think I'd make a good dad..." Ray trails off as he watches the claw catch on the stuffed animal. He doesn't even know what a good parent looks like. He barely started taking care of himself a few months ago. How could he take care of someone else?

Y/n lifts her eyebrow at Ray with a light smile as the claw safely drops the toy near the flap for her to retrieve. "What do you mean? I think you'd make a great dad." She takes the white rabbit out and scans the area. Luckily, she finds the mom and daughter just a little ways away. "You're sweet, Ray. I'm sure you'd do a great job."

"Thank you... maybe one day I'll believe that too." A warm fuzzy feeling fills his chest making him want to wrap his arms around Y/n and pull her close. Instead he just takes a step into Y/n personal space. To his delight she smiles up at him. "You got that for the little girl right? I think you'll be a great mother too, Y/n."

Y/n's eyes divert themselves from his and her fingers clench slightly just below her pulsing heart. "We should go find them before they leave the area," she manages to choke out. The sun comes out again in his smile and his hand finds hers.

"We can go like this," he hesitates. "right?" His slim fingers interlock with hers, his skin soft against hers.

She bites her lip and nods, giving his hand a light squeeze. "Yes."

───────────〔✿〕───────────

"She seemed really happy," Ray comments as they walk around all of the different booths. His shoulder brushes lightly against hers as he avoids other people. "When you were her age did you like stuffed animals too?"

Y/n smiles, her hand still in his. "I was practically obsessed," she laughs. The little girl had practically screamed when Y/n handed over the toy and her mother tried to offer her cash in thanks, which she of course didn't take. "I still have a mountain of them in my old room that I grew up in."

Ray pauses in front of one of the many game booths. "Do you still like them?"

"Why? Are you gonna win me one?" Y/n laughs. The booth they've stopped at is the type where you have to use a BB gun to shoot out a red star. It's not something she'd originally imagine Ray being talented at.

"Which do you want?"

A light amount of surprise plays on her face, but it quickly changes to excitement. "Then the big tan dog," Y/n points.

"Okay." Ray quickly pays the woman running the booth and picks up the gun. His eyes grow cold as he levels his gaze and he props the shotgun up lightly on his shoulder. His stance is firm.

"Good luck!" Y/n cheers from the side.

Ray smiles. Then, he shoots.

───────────〔✿〕───────────