Story Mode 53: Actually Quite Horrifying

Y/n clenches her cup tightly as an awkward silence settles over the table. She sits down in the booth beside Saeran, meanwhile her father sits across from them. It seems both men are stuck thinking about the day before yesterday's events which is making it difficult to talk freely today. She leans over and whispers something in Ray's ear before sitting back up in her chair. She can only hope that the food comes soon.

"So... what was Y/n like as a kid? Do you have any pictures?" Saeran manages for start the conversation with Y/n's advice. Luckily, her dad takes the bait.

"She was the same as she is now, just a lot sweeter!" The baker laughs heartily as he pulls up a few pictures on his phone. "When she was younger she had a little trouble making friends, but once she hit middle school, the other kids finally began to understand how amazing she was- is."

"I don't think I had trouble making friends," Y/n comments as her father passes the phone to Ray. "I thought I had trouble keeping them."

"That's all in your head, kid." He shakes his head, "Your classmates from high school drop by the bakery when their home for the holidays asking about you, y'know." He gestures to the picture in Ray's hand, "When you were in elementary and younger the only friend you spent all your time with that one girl, so you probably don't remember having a hard time with everyone else."

Ray shows the picture to Y/n. It's of a little Y/n and another little girl sitting in a fort made out of various pieces of furniture in the middle of the living room. "Is this MC?"

"You know that bitch?"

"Dad!" Y/n sends a glare to her father who simply crosses his arms and looks away. "MC was a part of the organization that I'm in now and Ray is a part of that too."

Saeran sends a glance to Y/n. After what she told him he can't help but worry about what she's thinking while looking at these photos.

Y/n meets his eyes and forces out a quick small grin. "Let's change the topic."

After swiping through a large amount of embarrassing yet undeniably adorable baby pictures, Ray hands the phone back to the baker. "What's your family like, Ray?"

"Um, I have a twin brother." Ray quickly realizes that it's up to him for the conversation to continue, so he adds in some more information. "He's- well, I'd like to think that he's always caring about me." Since he's been with Y/n he's been able to become more and more honest about his feelings. Maybe since his eyes have been opened by Y/n's love, he's able to start to be vulnerable and accept the affection of others. Even if just a little.

"Aside of their hair color, eyes, weight, and the way they carry themselves, they look really alike!" Y/n adds as she shows of a photo she secretly took of the two carrying boxes while they were moving.

Her dad chuckles. "You make it sound like they look nothing alike." Saeran himself doesn't join in on the pair's laughter, but he feels comfortable around it. Which, to him, is a big step.

"Ray, I'm gonna go check on our food then go to the bathroom, should I grab you anything while I'm up?" Y/n slides out of the booth and waits for his response. She can only hope that her father doesn't eat her boyfriend alive while she's gone.

"Oh- no. Thank you, but I'm alright."

Her father however reaches out for her hand which she snatches away from him quickly. "What about your dad? Don't you want you get your old man something?"

She doesn't even look back at the table as she walks off. "Nope."

"That girl," D/n sinks back into his seat and looks at the young man seated on the side across from him. "She's only this cold with me... I never thought she would get a boyfriend, let alone one she'd have me meet."

"Am I-," Ray blushes slightly. "Her first?"

"Yes, but don't get ahead of yourself now," he warns vaguely. "So what is your relationship like with your parents?"

Ray flinches, but replies as he practiced. He figured that he was going to be asked this. "My dad wasn't involved and my mother passed away a few years ago." Sure, it doesn't sound great, but it's a lot better than talking about all of the abuse and threats that he and his brother went through.

"Sorry for your loss," D/n conveys the words with genuine sympathy. "It seems like you and Y/n are more alike than I originally thought. "Her mother isn't involved in her life either."

From the corner of his eye, Ray catches Y/n float from one of the waiters over to the restroom. He's running out of time. "Um, there's something that I wanted to ask you no matter what today."

"What is it?"

Ray takes a small breath. "If I get a job that pays well, will you entrust Y/n to me?" If working for Seven's agency under his name is what it takes to be worthy of Y/n, it's a small price to pay. "Even though she shows it like that, I think she really cares for you and will only be happy once we have your approval."

D/n's eyebrows raise for just a moment. "You're a gardener, aren't you? I can't imagine you getting anything high paying."

Ray clenches his fist. "Before this I worked in computer software, but some incidents occurred so I had to retire- or well, take a break. Recently, I've been scouted to work for a larger company, so I'll be able to work for them for a lot better pay."

"Isn't gardening what you like?"

Ray's cheeks grow tinged with pink, but he doesn't break eye contact. "Y/n is better than any flower out there. And what I want most is to be the one to make her happy." A slight smile comes to his features as he imagines a future of the two of them living happily together. "Changing careers is the least that I can do."

Y/n's father thinks deeply for a moment. When what seemed to be his everlasting summer with Y/n's mother ended, he had a similar choice. Although there were other factors, had he had the resolve to give up his dream of baking, things might not have ended up as they are now. "Fine." He rolls his eyes like a kid and groans. "I'll approve of your relationship with my daughter. You better not hurt her though!"

By the time Y/n makes it back to the table, her father had already listed dozens of things he'd do if he found out that Ray broke Y/n's heart.

It was actually quite horrifying.

But, they laughed.