Story Mode 47: Surprise Interrogation

"Thanks for the ride, Saeran." Y/n presses a kiss to his cheek before getting ready to slip out of the red sports car. The ride was pleasant, but she could tell that something was on his mind. "My dad should be somewhere around here," Y/n mumbles as her hand finds the latch on the car door.

"Is that him?" A middle aged man that resembles Y/n is headed straight for the car with a deep frown on his face. "Y/n?"

"Dammit." Y/n quickly covers her face and looks towards Ray who sits in the driver's seat. "What do you think? Do you want to meet him? Should I tell him about us?"

Color rushes to his cheeks as he breaks out into a sweat. "I don't know..." What if he forbids Y/n from seeing him? Or tells Y/n that he's not good enough for her. Wait no- he has to trust her, right? He has to trust that she won't leave him. She won't.

The middle aged man makes it to the side of the car where Y/n is sitting and peers into the window, smashing his face against the glass. God, what is wrong with him? Without warning, she throws open the door and steps out. Her father has to jump back to avoid getting hit by the door. "Dad what's wrong with you? Why are you being such a creep?!"

"This much is normal for a dad, isn't it?" He forces his daughter into a hug before tilting his head to the sports car. "So I know you didn't just kiss your Uber driver. Who the hell is that?" Y/n looks over her shoulder to Ray who looks undeniably nervous. "Is he one of those rich kids that were raised abroad in France or something?"

He offers Y/n an easy escape. She considers taking it, but lying now will only make it harder when the day comes for Saeran to ask for permission to marry her. Of course she could just run away with Saeran if her dad says no, but she still cares for her father despite his idiotic tendencies. She sighs. "Hold on."

Y/n goes to the Saeran's side of the car and he quickly rolls down the window for her. "I know you didn't decide yet, but do you mind meeting my dad?" She smiles somewhat nervously. "Since we're going to be together for a long time, it might be better to get the introductions out of the way."

Saeran nods his head in understanding and slips out of his side of the car. Since they were busy moving today, he's not dressed as prince-like as normal, but his looks are striking nonetheless. To Y/n's surprise, his arm wraps gently around her waist and he pulls her tightly to his side. Her father lifts his eyebrows high. "Dad, this is my boyfriend, Ray."

The two men shake hands, both hiding their wariness of the other under a cool facade. Her father starts off the interrogation and pulls no punches.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-three."

"What do you like about my daughter?"

"Everything."

"Be specific."

"She works hard at everything she does, she's never afraid to do the right thing, she always wants to help those around her... the list goes on." Flurries of embarrassment tickle her stomach at this one, and if her father was not in front of her her lips would've been locked with his.

"What are your goals for the future?"

"To make Y/n happy and live with her as my wife." The words slip off of Saeran's tongue with no hesitation whatsoever. The embarrassment hits Y/n like a wave and she has to cover her face and mouth go keep from screaming out on delight.

"What do you do for a living?"

This one stuns Saeran for a moment. "Well-" Je starts. "I'm doing a lot of gardening right now..." his voice gets smaller as he speaks and his grip on Y/n's waist falters.

"For a living," her father emphasizes. "What are you doing for a living?"

"Dad, stop," Y/n cuts in. "This questioning of yours is ridiculous in the first place. This isn't how you get to know someone!" 

Her father becomes just as exasperated as her. It's been one shock after another. Could his baby really be in the arms of a man right now? He doesn't want to believe it. "If he can't answer these questions then he's not good enough for you!" He snaps back.

Y/n gasps. Her expression falls into a glare, her voice low. "How dare you?" Her fists ball at her sides. "That's not something for you to decide! Who cares if he's a gardner? He could be a man on the side of the street begging for change for all I care! Ray is the one for me."

"Y/n..." Saeran's eyes begin to water. Seeing Y/n defend him so much makes him happy, but seeing her so torn over it makes his heart hurt a thousand times worse. Perhaps if he had taken his brother's offer earlier, he could've said that he works in tech and saved Y/n from this pain. It's all his fault.

Her father's expression softens. "I see you've made your choice, Y/n." His daughter's tears begin to slip out and the white haired boy beside her immediately begin to wipe them away. "Ray," her father says sternly. "I'm bringing this up for a reason. You can understand that my daughter's well being is my top priority, correct?"

Ray lets Y/n turn her back on her father and cling onto him as she cries in his shoulder. He holds her tightly and rubs her back. "Yes."

"Then listen to me carefully." The middle aged man lowers his voice slightly, despite the area being relatively empty. "She probably hasn't told you yet-"

Y/n jolts in Ray's arms and whips around. "Don't say it!" She screams as tears flow freely from her face. Her voice cracks and she breaks into sobs.

Her father sighs. "Y/n's heart wasn't completely developed when she was born. She can get by with various medications now, but her condition isn't likely to improve. A gardener can't afford heart surgery, Ray. No matter how much you love her, you won't be able to take care of her when she's sick."

"I can't entrust my daughter to you."