Story Mode 82: Desperate Proposals

───────────〔✿〕───────────

Y/n can tell where she is before her eyes flicker open. The stench of chemicals and heavy feeling in her chest is far too familiar. The bed beneath her is stiff and the sheets are hard from bleach. She's in a hospital. The only thing that's different is the hand tightly squeezing hers. When her eyes open, his white hair fills her vision. She groans slightly, but lifts her free hand to tousle his soft locks. He's fallen asleep in the seat at her bedside while leaning his head on her mattress. A small laugh slips from her lips. Saeran himself had just gotten discharged from the hospital yesterday. "We need to stop getting hurt, Saeran." Without disturbing him, she brings herself up to a sitting position. She studies his soft sleeping features for a few minutes before snapping a picture of him on her phone. He's too adorable.

A knock sounds softly on the door, causing Saeran to bolt straight up. His hand clutches hers tightly and his wide eyes climb up and down every inch of her form, as if making sure she's all there. She would've enjoyed a chance to talk, but Y/n settles for giving him a soft kiss on the cheek instead. "Come in."

"Stay out." Saeran growls in a louder voice, panicking as the door starts to open. "Stay OUT!"

"Saeran?" Y/n doesn't get a chance to finish her question. His fingers pull at her hair and his wet muscle invades her mouth. Saeran's lips take over hers. His hold is firm yet gentle as desperation rages through him. For his sake, Y/n lifts a hand to his chin and returns the kiss.

When Saeran finally pulls away he presses a kiss to their laced fingers. "Marry me, Y/n." Faint bags hang beneath his eyes and stress is engraved in the creases of his features. "Let me be the one that's always at your side. Please, Y/n. Please. Marry me."

"Uhm," a twinge of guilt sinks in Y/n's chest. If she hadn't gotten sick, Saeran wouldn't have felt that he needed to rush like this. She wants to let things happen naturally. "I'm happy to hear that," she tucks a white lock of his hair behind his ear. "But let's deal with the person outside first?"

A grimace strikes his features. Not because she didn't say yes, but because of his own behavior. "I'm sorry," he releases her hand softly, replacing it on her lap. "Are you feeling alright? Is there anything I can do to help you? To make you more comfortable?" He looks around the room and wrings out his hands shakily, "Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"Saeran," Y/n takes his hand and relocks their fingers, pausing his fretting. "I'm happy with you just staying by my side. That's more than enough." She leans over and gives him a tight squeeze. Her body aches in response, but she ignores it. She closes her eyes and Saeran supports her weight while curling his arms tightly around her.

Once they pull apart, Saeran supports her back with some pillows. The grimace returns to his features. "It's probably Jumin and Chiffon waiting outside," he brushes the side of her face gently. "We can let them in now... they have something to tell you."

───────────〔✿〕───────────

"So," Y/n holds Saeran's hand tightly as she looks at the crowd before her. In addition to Jumin and Chiffon, her dad and Jaehee are gathered in front of her. "You're telling me that the whole country thinks I'm dating Jumin and that Madame Chiffon is actually my mother?" Almost all of the faces in the room look guilty. "And they're making me the bad guy?"

"You understood quickly. As expected of one of my secretaries." Jumin confirms. 

"I'm sorry Y/n. I didn't want you to find out like this," her father says as he sets a large stuffed animal on the foot of her bed. It's Nunsseob. Ray asked him to get it for Y/n last night. "I wanted to protect you."

"I get it," she waves her dad off. She always knew that he was hiding stuff about her mom. That's nothing new and there are bigger problems to deal with. "Still, I don't think I would've taken the whole thing well when I was younger. Or really a few months ago."

"You mean before you met Ray," Jaehee clarifies with a smile. The mentioned man blushes slightly and glances at Y/n, his grip on her hand remaining tight.

Chiffon steels herself. She's surprised that she has yet to be slapped or yelled at, but that doesn't mean it's not coming. "I know that I'm just a stranger to you, but to me," Chiffon starts as she takes advantage of the break in conversation to talk to Y/n. "To me you're— you're—!" She cuts herself off. She balls the fabric of her blouse in her fist. She has no place to say such things. Not after all this time. Not after what she has done. "I don't want you to suffer anymore. Jumin and I came up with a plan last night to stop the media from blaming you. It's... it's the least I can do."

Jumin steps forward. As usual, he's dressed in a crisp suit with each of his black hairs in place. "We will release a video through the company's channels explaining the real situation."

Chiffon sets a vase of flowers down on the table at Y/n's bedside. Y/n stares at her blankly. So this is the person that her father fell in love with. "Despite the public knowing about my not filling my duty as your mother, they're framing you to be a villain out for revenge. I'll explain that you didn't know anything and that you were only ever kind to me."

"But that alone won't settle things," Jaehee explains. "As long as they think you've pursued Mr. Han, they will paint you to out to be manipulative and money hungry."

Jumin cocks his head to the side, his charcoal eyes fixing on Y/n's form. Despite having just come out of surgery, she's beautiful. "I will clarify that you are just an employee and the victim of my own affection. The media won't be able to have their way with you anymore, Y/n. I swear it."

───────────〔✿〕───────────