Story Mode 61: Evening At The Office

The stars are visible from the large sky scraper and the city below lights up the room for her. She had gotten too annoyed to keep standing up to alert the motion censor lights, so she sits in the dark room with her computer screen blaring into her retina. She had finished all of her and Jaehee's work a few days ago. Other than the daily reports, she's had nothing to do despite the party being only two weeks away. Everything has been squared away. The venue, the catering, the paper invitations, the streaming platform, the advertising, the speeches, everything. So she's started doing her coworkers' work. Of course they don't know. She just does the assignments she was supposed to pass onto them in their name. It's wrong, but she's desperate to occupy herself.

Her phone finally stops buzzing beside her. Zen and Yoosung must've finally stopped talking in the chat. They're both sweet, but it's hard to be around them right now. Zen always gets mad at Saeran on her behalf and Yoosung is too naive to understand how she feels. So she'd rather just be alone and wait to hear from Saeran. Whenever that will be.

"Y/n." A deep voice calls over to her from the hallway. It's Jumin. His black locks are ruffled and the top of his shirt is unbuttoned, his tie hanging around his neck loosely. "You already completed your work. What are you still doing here so late?"

"Oh," Y/n quickly begins to save her work and log out of all of the programs that she was using. A small smile comes to her face as she lies, "I was just going over the final details of the party. I must've gotten carried away." She quickly packs her bag when she notices Jumin leaning against the wall, waiting for her. "What kept you here so long?"

He waits for her to reach his side before standing straight and answering her question. "My father made me have dinner with his girlfriend- well fiancé now." Y/n could've sworn that he rolled his eyes. "He proposed to her yesterday and wanted to tell me the news. I'm only back here because I had some documents I needed to review."

Y/n listens to him intently and let's her hands graze his chest as she reaches for his tie. He doesn't stop her. She fastens the material and retracts herself back to a more platonic distance. "How are you feeling about it? Her name is Chiffon, right?"

He nods and the pair begin to walk to the large elevators. "I'm simply thankful that the ridiculous business he's started for her seems like it will be a success. Your idea of having Zen and Madame Chiffon attend the party together will certainly help bring in views for the first episode."

"I'm happy to help," Y/n's smile is small and when Jumin doesn't glance at her, she doesn't force herself to hold it. The elevator doors close. Jumin punches the button for street level where Mr. Kim, his driver, is likely waiting for him. It's also the floor where Y/n will be going out to wait for her bus.

"Y/n, do you want to talk about it?" Saeran. Unlike when others ask her, it doesn't maker her uncomfortable or self-conscious. It's just an offer. And the simplicity of it comforts her. Brings a genuine smile to her face, even.

The elevators doors open. "Thanks Jumin, but I'll be okay."

The man blinks and follows her out to the lobby. "Ok. You know my door is always open."

Outside, in addition to the now familiar car that Mr. Kim drives, there is another black one. Leaning on the front door of it stands the man she has been longing to see. His white hair is ruffled by the wind and he stares up at the sky. He hasn't even noticed that they've left the building.

An unreadable expression grows on Jumin's face as he turns to his friend. "Have a good night, Y/n."

Her response dies on her tongue. In silence she watches Jumin climb in the car and pull away. A smile grows on Saeran's face when they finally make eye contact.

"Y/n. You waited for me."