Story Mode 72: Twelve O'Clock

───────────〔✿〕───────────

"Are you and Y/n together?"

Chiffon holds her breath in horror. How did she not think of such a possibility. She had heard rumors about she'd fiancé's son of course, but she didn't pay much attention to them. But the possibility that her future son in law could be dating her biological daughter— she'd rather the rumors be true.

Y/n's hand flies up to cover her face. Jumin sighs, looking in the opposite direction of Y/n. She begins to laugh. "I'm so sorry, sir," Y/n apologizes in between laughs and shaky breaths. "What makes you think such a thing?"

"Well, you're a nice young lady and my son hasn't frowned once since arriving here," he chuckles and looks into his son's eyes. "He's very good at disguising his emotions, but I can tell that he's fond of you."

"Dad, just how much have you been drinking?" Jumin doesn't even appear to be flustered as he flawlessly attempts to redirect the conversation. "You don't normally get this bad."

"I've only had one or two glasses!" The man sends back in defense.

"So, Jumin," Y/n doesn't let him away so easily. "Would you say that you're fond of me?" She giggles lightly.

She can tell he didn't want to be asked, but he answers her nonetheless. "You already know the answer that."

His low voice is as soft as his gaze as they trickle across her features. She's a beautiful gift wrapped up in such pretty a dress. But the recipient of such a gift isn't him. Y/n hits his shoulder lightly with a bright smile. "I'm fond of you as well," she smiles and then turns to her boss' father without missing a beat. "Jumin is an important friend of mine, but we're not dating or anything like that."

"That's too bad," the Chairman holds his fiancée's hand. "It would've been nice to have a cute daughter-in-law like you." Chiffon's eyes widen slightly and her lips pinch shut. Once they get married, he will have such a daughter-in-law, just in a different way than expected.

───────────〔✿〕───────────

To Chiffon's surprise, the night had been going well. The other three at the table have been mainly discussing affairs at the company, so she's only thrown in a few random one liners to remind them that she was listening. It's hard to believe that the woman in front of her is her and that baker's child. She's has her life together and is mature, something Chiffon and Y/n's father weren't until they were well into their thirties. Or forties. The way she talks and carries herself is more refined than her country bumpkin father and more approachable than her once idol and now movie star mother. She isn't like either of them. Yet, like both of them at the same time. The way she carries conversations is just like her father and how she hides her emotions is just like herself. Chiffon could tell that she was nervous when she sat down at the table, even despite her doing a good job of masking it.

Had everything been under different circumstances, Chiffon might've cried when Y/n sat down. But she can't. The words from the phone call she received still echo in her head. Wine. Circular tray. 12 o'clock.

Her fiancé taps her arm lightly, concern painted in his features. "Are you feeling okay, sweetie? Should I take you home early?"

"Ah... no I'm fine," she smiles. "I was just spacing out while thinking about the filming."

"Well in that case would you fancy a glass of wine?" He gestures to the circular tray a member of the waitstaff is extending towards her. The men have already plucked out their glasses, leaving only two. One at 12 and one at 9. It wouldn't be awkward for her to pick either one. Chiffon reaches out to the glasses and hesitates. 'Those who go against my orders get punished.' Chiffon glances over to her daughter. Then, she takes her cup.

When the tray arrives to Y/n's side, there is only one cup left. Without being aware of anything, she picks it up off the tray and thanks the worker. Chiffon eyes the glass in her hand, then takes a sip. She took the cup situated at twelve o'clock. The rich red liquid runs down her throat. She waits.

Nothing happens.

Then, Y/n brings her glass to her lips. She immediately begins to choke. Chiffon's heart sinks. Y/n coughs desperately and Jumin looks over to her with alarm. "H- Huh-," Chiffon tries desperately to form words. She grips the Chairman tightly and shakes him, unable to tear her eyes away from her child. "Hospital! We need the hospital!" It's all Chiffon's fault. She should've taken the cup they told her to. This was never about Y/n. They wanted to get rid of her. But now, right in front of her, Y/n is suffering in her place.

Y/n coughs one final time and stops covering her mouth as she takes a deep breath. Jumin's kind touch immediately retracts from her back. "Sorry," she chokes out as she calms down. "I didn't mean to startle anyone. I'm fine." She chuckles out of embarrassment. Way to end a nice dinner with the Han family. "Thank you for worrying, but I'll fine without the hospital. I just choked on the wine a little, haha."

Relief floods through Chiffon and before she can stop herself, she's across the table with Y/n in a crushing hug. The sudden development leaves the four too distracted to notice the flash of a camera go off.

───────────〔✿〕───────────