Story Mode 101: Garden Encounter

"Y/n! Thank god I found you!"

"V?!" A smile grows on the man's face, the clouds shrouding the moon parting to gleam down on his light blue hair. His hand remains securely on her wrist, their bodies too close for comfort. "What? What are you doing here?"

"Ah," the smile slips from his features leaving his mouth ajar. "Wh- what happened to you?" A patch along Y/n's temple has puffed and turned a dark purple and a bandage covers a large portion of her cheek where her skin had been scraped back at some point. Even more unsightly, dark bruises twist tightly around her neck, right where MC had strangled her the day before. Her busted lip stiffens. Y/n had nearly burst into tears herself when she saw her own reflection. It's one thing to feel broken. Seeing undeniable proof of it is another.

She rips her wrist from his hand and takes a step back. "I was kidnapped by a cult... what do you think happened?"

Suddenly awash with awkwardness, V puts his hand in and out of his pocket, finally settling on placing it flat against his legs, "Right." Y/n wasn't supposed to get hurt— not like this. Due to the cloak, he can only see her face and neck. He can't bare to imagine what's happened to the rest of her body. "I knew that," he trails off.

V hasn't been doing too well himself, but he didn't imagine that the Mint Eye would hurt her this much. Y/n is too valuable. Perhaps the Mint Eye has changed more than he originally thought. "I'm glad to see that you're doing— I'm glad to see you, but you should go back. If they've already done all this to you..."

Y/n squints her eyes at the man in the dark. "You're the one that stopped from returning in the first place. Shouldn't this be where you tell me the escape route?" She crosses her arms in front of her, both as a defense and a way to stop herself from trembling. Something doesn't add up here. Saeran would have told her if they were sending V for her. Moreover, after that phone call, there's not chance in hell that Saeran would not only go back on his word of letting her try to escape on her own, but also not be the first one to see her. "What exactly are you here for?"

"Ah..." V scratches the back of his head lightly, his lips hanging in a sheepish smile. "You must not be able to trust me," he nods his head to himself and lets his hands fall back to his side, his smile graining a dull, but existing, light. "We haven't met in person before now and we haven't spoken much in the chat either... And especially after what you've gone through, it's understandable that you wouldn't let your guard down so quickly."

Y/n's heart pumps harder in her chest, her pulse thundering loudly in her ears. The venomous snake hiding in the tall grass claims more victims than the large roaring beast. Why is he being so secretive? She licks her chapped lips, her tongue coming away with a metallic twinge. "You didn't answer my question, V. Why and how are you here?" Her voice hardly carries over the light breeze. "Don't tell me... could this be about—"

"Y/n, are those footsteps?" His voice drops to a quick whisper. Sure enough, not too far away there is the sound of approaching movements. V sucks his teeth. There's more that he needed to discuss. "Y/n. I have to go. But I swear I'll be back again to check on you! Don't do anything rash and just do as they say. Stay safe!" He turns and backs into the dark quickly. Part of Y/n wants to grab onto him and rip more of the truth from him but part of her knows that wherever he's going, it wouldn't be smart to follow him blindly. The latter part of herself is proved right when a woman appears behind her, just a few seconds later.

"Y/n," the Savior hums. Y/n turns to face her. "What a pleasure to encounter you on this calm night." A small smile decorates her hazy features and her long blond hair hangs down over her black dress. "Come. Let's sit, love. Let's have a chat."

Awkwardly, Y/n follows the woman to the seat she was on previously. When she sits down, their shoulders are just a slouch away from touching. "Tell me, how are your wounds feeling? You must've been surprised to see them."

"They hurt," Y/n responds curtly. Even if this woman hasn't directly raised her hand at her, she's the boss of this place. If it wasn't for her, Y/n wouldn't be in this situation right now.

The Savior's small hands reach to touch Y/n's balled fists which jerk away out of reflex. She doesn't force it. "They are getting better," she assures. "Your bruises and cuts are dark, but I can tell that they are all healing." The woman drags her finger across the bone beneath her own eye, mimicking the outline of the worst part of what's damaged on Y/n's face. "Even this one won't leave much of a scar. The majority of the skin remained in tact, so once the coloring returns to normal, you will only be left with a small line of discoloration which too will return to normal quickly."

"That's the least of my worries."

A small chuckle escapes her lips. "Ahh, of course. You must be thinking of Ray." Her voice is soft and sickeningly sweet to the ears like a mouthful of honey. "I understand. I've been eagerly waiting for his return ever since he left."

"Why did you hurt him?"

"I was loving him. Protecting him." Rika's tone gets shorter, but remains soft. "You will understand soon. There are measures that must be taken to make him stronger. The weak suffer in this world. Certainly you of all people know that."

"Weak or strong, we all suffer. The way you stop that suffering isn't by hurting more people. Your methods are wrong."

"Your mindset is still like that of those on the outside, Y/n." Rika uncrosses her legs. "You may refuse my methods now but you will see their effectiveness eventually."

"Do you really think that forcing people into roles and threatening them with pain is love?"

Rika's smile finally fades, her dreamy green eyes shifting to a sharp glare. "You're twisting it."

"Is that how you were loved?

"Y/n. I'm warning you—"

"Is that why you were afraid of the love V gave you?"

Rika raises her hand and then catches it, balling it up and putting it back to her side. A faint smirk grows on Y/n's lips. Rika's voice remains calm. "I want you to go around the building and talk to the believers tomorrow. You will see how I've helped them. It's also how I'll help you when you need it."

So she gets an excuse to investigate the building. Not bad. "I don't need your help."

"And it hurts me that you think that." Rika's lips curve up. "The RFA are focusing on the party and not even thinking about you. You've been abandoned, Y/n. Just like how you were abandoned by your mother at birth and just like how Saeran left you for all those months." Her hand finds Y/n's shoulder. "But I won't do such a thing. No matter what, I never abandon my children."

"You abandoned the RFA," the words slip off of Y/n's lips. Her breath catches in her throat and she watches her captor hesitantly. Rika stands.

"Let me ask you something in return." She remains patient. "What do you think is the right way to save someone?"

Y/n takes a small breath, gathering her thoughts and courage all in one motion. "You can't save anyone, not really. All we can do is offer them support and encouragement. We can only be there for them. It's up to them to save themselves."

"It's naive of you to think that is something everyone can do."

"I don't think that everyone can." Y/n responds with a shrug.  "But those that really want to can do it. Those that don't truly want to be saved never had a chance."

"And what if I had a way to make someone want to be saved? No, rather than that, tell me this." Rika continues, "What is your approach towards love?"

"I've never thought about it... Perhaps just wanting the other person to be happy." Y/n pauses for a moment, "Even if I could never be with Saeran again, happiness is all I'd ever wish for him."

"Y/n... you and I are no different."

Y/n shakes her head. She doesn't want to be lumped with someone that brainwashes and kidnaps people. "We are different. But if you believe we're not, that must be the reason you chose me as your successor?"

"Yes," she smiles. "Smart girl." Rika dusts off her dress and bows slightly. Y/n doesn't return the gesture. "Once Saeran comes home, I will start your training. I will be busy for the next few days, but I tend to visit this garden at night. Don't be afraid to ask me for anything." She smiles.

"For eternal paradise."