Story Mode 46: Ulterior Motives, Talks About The Future

"Saeran," Seven calls lightly as he beckons to his brother. "Come check this out!" Y/n is filling the shelves in the living room with all of the books that Seven bought for Ray when he was hospitalized. With her back to them and her phone in her hand, she probably won't notice them slipping away.

"What is it?" Saeran pants as he sets down a box full of different computer parts. Luckily he's been regaining his strength as he finishes recovering from the drug they made him take at Mint Eye. Even if he gets tired now, he's able to take a little bit of exertion.

"Just follow me! It's about Y/n." Seven shamelessly throws the bait out there and slips into one of the many rooms of the isolated house. Within seconds, as he expected, Ray steps into the room behind him.

"What is it?" His facial expression is completely flat, nothing like when he's next to Y/n. It makes Seven deflate slightly. When they were younger he used to always be able to make him smile.

"How did things go last night?" Seven asks as he forces a smile. "It was your first night alone with her right?"

Disgust grows on Saeran's features. Is he asking about his sex life? "I'm leaving."

"Wait!" Seven grabs his sleeve and pulls him back. He swivels his head to check the door; the coast is still clear. He lets the fake smile fall off his features and allows his genuine concern take its place. "If you're thinking that she's really the one for you, then I wanted to make you an offer."

Saeran snatches his arm away. "Just because I don't hate you anymore doesn't mean that you can act like we're close. You have no say in my relationship with Y/n."

"You don't hate me?" The words come as a shock and it takes a moment for the older brother to collect his thoughts. If he had been told this yesterday before the letter, he might've felt relief and joy. But instead guilt pushes its way deep down his throat and it clenches his heart tightly. "But rather than that- Saer- Ray. If you want a future with her... you don't expect her to support herself, do you?" Seven digs his nails into his own skin as he convinces himself that this is the best for everyone. "If you want to marry her and buy a house and have kids... you're going to need money."

Saeran's features contort, but he says nothing. He doesn't want to think about it, but it's true. He can't be with his princess forever if he doesn't have an income. Even if Y/n were to say that she doesn't mind, the idea of him being a free loader unsettles him. "How can I get a job if I can't even get an can ID issued, let alone tell anyone who I really am?!"

Seven puts an arm around Saeran's shoulder and lowers his voice. "My agency. You don't even have to sign up with them. If you start doing my work, you can take 95% of everything you earn." He smiles, "We can just let them think that it's me."

Ray ponders the idea, "Would that give me enough to support her?" He wants to see Y/n happy and if he could do so by hacking then he would have no choice. After all, that's the only thing he's ever been good at.

"More than enough," Seven promises. "If you work hard for a few months straight, I'm sure you would be able to earn enough to comfortably live off of for years."

Ray pulls himself away from his brother. So he was being naive. Things are at a stable position with Y/n, but he must still work hard to keep things that way. "I'll think about it."

Just on time, Y/n slips into the room with a curious glint in her eyes. "Seven were you messing with my prince again?" Seven isn't given a chance to respond as Y/n grabs her boyfriend's hand. "Let's go, I refuse to lose to this bromance."

The moment Y/n leaves the room with him, Seven sucks his teeth. "Tch." He wants the best for the young couple, but he can't protect them both without separating them from each other.

Y/n and Ray navigate their way back to the front yard and take a seat on the large couch that they have yet to bring in. Their eyes watch the barren road. "Hey Y/n," Saeran finally speaks up p as he calms down. "What do you think is most important to being happy?"

"Hmm," The answer comes right to her as she laces their fingers together. "Having people I love and being able to be with them." She exhales slightly with a smile. "I often spent my days alone when I was younger, but that just makes moments like these shine even brighter. I can honestly say that I'm happy right now."

Y/n fails to notice Ray attempt to speak up as her phone begins to buzz. "Ugh my dad wants to meet me now," she summarizes as she reads the texts that pop up on her screen one after another. "But he's all the way on the other side of town. Why doesn't he ever tell me these things beforehand?"

Ray stands and gives her his hand. "I'll drive you."