𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 21 - Screwed

LISA

"....I'm going to MARRY YOU." I said nervously to Jennie.

Her face frowns, and when she realizes what I've said, she moves away from me and questions me, "What?!" She almost shouts.

The truth is that I'm terrified of her reaction right now, but I still need to tell her because we don't have enough time. "What are you saying, Lisa? Why do you need to marry me?" I can tell she's getting irritated. Who wouldn't be when you suddenly have to marry someone you don't love? 'F*ck it hurts,' but I still hold her hands and look into her eyes.

"Jennie, please calm down. Allow me to explain the situation once more. I'm going to marry you to ensure your safety. The truth is that your mother never asked me to help her in repaying your father's debt. She told us that whether she pays it or not, they will still take you away from her because the creditor's son desperately wants you, which is why she begged me to protect you from them. And the best way to do so is to give you my surname, Jennie. They will not try to take you or even touch you if you become my wife. You know how powerful the Manobans are, and with our connections in the business world and the government, they will not try to mess with us." I explained to her.

Her expression shifts, but I'm not sure what she's thinking. "Lisa I....I," she was about to speak when I interrupted her.

"Jennie, you don't have to worry about anything. You can still manage your business and do the things you do. The only difference is that you're going to take my surname. I'll protect your privacy, but we need to pretend that we're a real couple on some occasion. You also need to live with me for them to think that we're really together and that we're married." I told her.

"But how about..." I wait for her to continue, then she looks in our intertwined hands. I suddenly let go of her hands because I realize what she's trying to say, and even though I know this one really hurts me, I continue my words.

"Is it about Mino? You can tell him everything Jennie. I believe he will understand your situation if he knows what you are going through, and you can still be with him when we get married. I promise you that I will not meddle in your private life." She looks down and tears welling up in her eyes. I held her face and made her look at me again. It breaks my heart to see her so vulnerable. I can't bear seeing her this way because I love her so much, but I have to do it for her safety.

"Please don't cry. I know it's difficult for you. We'll only be married for a year, so maybe by then those jerks will have forgotten about you and your mother. I swear Jennie, after I assure you and your family are completely safe from them, we can divorce, and I will never meddle in your life." I sincerely told her.

I promise myself that this is the last time I will interfere in her life. When I am certain that she is completely safe, I will leave and try to forget my feelings for her. Damn these feelings of mine! Things wouldn't be this difficult if I hadn't fallen for her.

"B-but Lisa, I can't just let you do this. How about you? I know you -" She's a sobbing mess right now. Rosé and Jisoo unnie caress her back.

I hugged her again as she cried and she clutched her fist on my shirt. "Hey, don't worry about me. Stop crying. All we want is your safety, Jennie. Just take a rest for now. We'll talk again later." I let go of her and wiped her tears.

"Rosie will accompany you tonight, Jennie. Jisoo unnie and I will go for now. We will return later." I said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Where are you two going, Lisa?" Jennie asked with furrowed brows.

"I asked Unnie to accompany me. I'm just going to talk to my dad." I said.

"Lisa, are you going to tell Uncle Marco about all of this?" Her face scowls and she begins to question me again. "He's so strict on you, and he knows we're not even together. How can you explain that we're suddenly getting married?" She gets up and walks away from us. "And if he finds out about our debt, he won't even let us be friends Lisa. How are you going to explain everything to him?"