𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 42 - Surprise

JENNIE

I was so focused on my work that I've lost track of time. I forgot to check my phone, and as expected, I received a lot of messages and missed calls from my wife. I called Lisa right away and informed her that I would be working overtime today. I still have files of paper work in my office that I haven't finished since coming back here. Lisa informed me that she would be working overtime as well, but when I was finished, I should call her right away so she could pick me up.

After a couple of hours of work, most of my employees, including my hardworking assistant, have gone home. I decided to call it a day as well. I already called Lisa, and she's on her way to pick me up. Then I gathered my belongings to wait for her outside.

I was walking towards the elevator when I felt something strange. It's as if someone is staring at me. I slowly turn around to look behind me, but no one is there. I continue walking, and it appears that someone is now following me. I'm getting scared and rush inside the elevator, pressing the ground floor. The elevator door is about to close when suddenly a hand pushes it open.

"HELP!" I screamed from the top of my lungs, then closing my eyes. Is this the end of me? Is the psycho guy going to abduct me now? Lisa, please save me.

"What happened, Miss Ruby Jane? Are you okay?" A familiar male voice asked. I take a slow look at the person and I felt relieved when I saw a surprised Hanbin in front of me.

"N-nothing. I-I'm just surprised. I thought someone was going to abduct me?" I stuttered to him.

"Abduct you? In your own building?" He asked bewildered. I pressed the button again, causing the elevator to descend to the ground floor.

"Forget about it. Maybe I'm just imagining things. By the way, what are you doing here at this hour?" I asked.

"I forgot my phone in the studio and took it back, then I decided to go to Miss Jisoo's office to ask her something, but when I got there, no one was in her office. Maybe they had already left." He explained, scratching his head.

"Unnie didn't come to work today. She wasn't feeling well. What are you going to ask her?" I wondered.

"N-not so important, Miss Ruby Jane." He said shyly, turning away from me. Maybe he'll ask Unnie to go out. Sorry pretty boy, but my cousin is already taken.

We'd made it to the ground floor. I wave him goodbye, but Hanbin suddenly appears beside me again. I come to a stop and stare at him with interest.

"What exactly are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm walking you to your car, Miss Ruby Jane. For your safety." Hanbin said seriously to me.

"Thank you for your concern, Hanbin, but you don't have to. My security is all over here. No one can harm me." I explained to him.

"But, Miss, we don't know what might happen. I just want to see you safely get inside your car." He said as I resumed my walk. How am I supposed to explain that I didn't bring my own car because Lisa is going to pick me up. If he sees us, he might think something. I was about to stop him from walking beside me when Lisa suddenly approached us.

"Hey." Lisa said and smiled at me.

"Oh, Miss Manoban! I'm glad to see you again." Hanbin said with a smile. Lisa looks at him, perplexed, as if she had forgotten about him.

"Lisa, this is Hanbin. You met him a few days ago. He is one of our new models." I explained, and she nodded.

"We have to go now, Hanbin. Lisa and I have plans for tonight." I told him.

"I had no idea you two were so close, Miss Ruby Jane." He said, surprised.

"Of course she's my best friend." I said, but when I look at my wife, Lisa's face is now expressionless. Damn, I messed it up again.