48| welcome to the avengers

Peter's pov
Beck and I are in a packed bar, I'm drinking a soda and he's drinking beer. I start feeling down again about what Nick said.

"Hey. You gotta celebrate, you did something good tonight." Beck says, patting my back.

"Yeah... Fury was right. Tony did a lot for me, so... I owe it to him, to everybody." I say.

"Do you?" Beck asks.

"Yeah! I mean... Mr. Stark gave me the chance to be more, he wanted me to be better than him, and Fury just wants me to live up to that." I explain. He then asks me what I want a couple of times and I tell him I don't know.

"What do you want, you, Peter Parker, right now? I know you're thinking about it! What do-" he begins to ask again.

"I wanna go on my trip, right? I wanna go back on my trip, with my friends. I wanna go to Paris with Y/n, spend the whole day with her, then at nighttime take her stargazing, cause we've always wanted to. I then will ask her to be my girlfriend." I rant.

"Ooooo." Beck teases.

"Shut up man." I say, however I'm smiling thinking about my plan.

"But you're not gonna do that, are you?" He asks.

"No, but I will one day." I say.

"Why not this trip?" He asks.

"Because I have too much of a responsibility! Especially keeping Y/n safe. That is my top responsibility." I reply. I feel a tap on my shoulder, and a random person gives me the Edith glasses.

"Oh, my god, thank you so much!" I say.

"What are those? Are those the...?" Beck asks.

"Edith glasses, yeah." I reply.

"It was on the floor? Try them on, let's see how they look on you." He tells me. I put them on. At the start I didn't think I'd suit them, but after Y/n said she thought I looked cute, I've gained a liking to them.

"I actually really like them!" I exclaim, but am told they look stupid by Beck, I take them off and force Beck to try them on. Like he could look better then me. Very unlikely.

"What do you think, kid?" He says, wearing the glasses.

"To the next Tony Stark, I trust you..." I say repeating what it said on the note.

"What?" Beck asks.

"Mr. Stark left me a message with those glasses; "To the next Tony Stark, I trust you."" I explain to Beck. I then explain my theory that Mr. Stark gave me the glasses to choose who should own them.

"Right, so, the world needs the next Iron Man... and it's not gonna be me! I mean, I'm a sixteen-year-old kid from Queens. It needs to be an adult with some experience and that's good like Tony Stark, like you." I say. Beck refuses, but I transfer control to Beck.

"Stark gave you the glasses!" Beck says.

"Stark gave me a choice! It's my choice to make, okay? And I'm gonna make it. Look, you're a soldier, a leader, you stopped the Elementals, you saved my life, you saved Y/n's life, you saved the world! Okay? He'd want you to have them." I tell Beck, then confirm the transfer.

"Welcome to the Avengers." I say, giving Beck the Edith glasses.

"Thank you. It's an honor." He replies. I then stand up, grabbing my backpack.

"Mr. Stark would've really liked you." I say, then turn to leave.

"Where you headed?" He asks.

"I'm asking Y/n to be my girlfriend. I don't care if I don't get to do my plan. You've taught me that I don't have to stick to a plan." I say.

"Good luck, kid. I'll give you about a fifty-fifty chance; you both like each other a lot, but you're both pretty awkward, so..." Beck jokes. I laugh then say bye. Y/n Stark, more like future Y/n Parker... Okay that was a bit too confident.