04. ONE-NIGHT STAND

04. ONE-NIGHT STAND

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE Elijah had slept with a woman he couldn't remember and who left before he woke up

He woke up to an empty bed for the first time in years ━ which led to another breakdown due to the fact that his girlfriend of eight years left him and he did something so out of character for him that he felt slightly numb for the rest of the morning.

He had a one-night stand.

Elijah Malachi West doesn't have one-night stands.

He has girlfriends.

Well, had girlfriends.

Okay, correction. Girlfriend. Singular.

"Wait, so she left you just like that?" Kendrick James asks for the seventh time as he walks by his friend's side through the cafeteria, "Just packed her shit up and left?"

Elijah rolls his eyes, "For the thousandth time, yes. Now, can we stop talking about this?"

"No, my nigga," Kendrick punches his friend's arm, "We can't stop talking about this. You loved Gianna and she just dipped on you like that."

Kendrick James is the head of neurology and the best friend of Elijah West. They met on their first day of interning and bonded over complaining of scutwork and bossy residents. Kendrick has been there for him since day one and he'd never expect for his best friend's girlfriend ━ who'd been his girlfriend for as long as they'd been best friends ━ to just pack up and leave.

"Yeah, we established that already." Elijah feels like a school kid, gossiping with his closest friend, the neuro surgeon, at lunch time. The longer he looks down at his tray that holds a sandwich and an apple, the less he wants to eat it, "I'm over it."

For a second, Kendrick sounded like the mother whose lipstick was spilled her Valentino bag, "You're not over it."

"What?" Elijah scoffs, "How are you gonna tell me what I'm not over?"

"Elijah," The two sit at a table in the corner, the rain from outside pounding on the window they sit beside, "You're telling me that in a week, you've gotten over a relationship that you've dedicated eight years of your life to?" Taking note of Elijah's dismissive stare, he sighs, "You want my advice?"

Elijah shakes his head, "But you're gonna give it anyway."

"Yes, and how'd you know?" The neurosurgeon points with a determined look on his face, "Because you know me. And I know you and I know you're not over it."