12. DIFFERENT

12. DIFFERENT

"HE LOOKS DIFFERENT, DOESN'T he?"

"Happier? Yeah."

"It's like he's glowing."

"I wonder whose bones he got to break?"

"It's a girl."

"You guys do know I can hear you, right?" Elijah scoffs as he turns to face his fellow Attendings. He closes the chart and hands it to Kali who's sat at the nurse's station.

Henley Marks, Jackson Carter, Paige Wilkins, Drew Lakeford, and Kendrick disperse from their little huddle and face the ortho surgeon.

"So, you gonna tell us about her?" Paige smirks at her coworker. She's the cardiothoracic attending.

Kendrick chuckles, "She was a patient's sister."

"Dude," Elijah huffs, "Shut up."

The neurosurgeon raises his arms in surrender before his pager beeps, "I gotta go."

When he walks away, the questions ensue.

"What's her name?" Henley props her chin up on the palm of her hand. She is the trauma surgeon.

Elijah shakes his head and opens another file.

"Elijah," Drew, the pediatrician, snickers, "This is probably the happiest I've ever seen you. And we've been working together for eight years."

"Aye, just leave him alone," Jackson defends his friend. Jackson is one of Elijah's residents but he's the only one that doesn't piss Elijah off to the max ━ hence why he was allowed to hang around the other attendings, "If he doesn't wanna tell us, he doesn't have to. It's his business."

The ortho surgeon checks his watch to see that it's time for Kyree's check-up. He'd been out of the hospital for a while so Elijah volunteered to check up on him after a week to track the healing process.

Elijah raises an eyebrow in agreement to his friend, "I'm needed elsewhere. Page me if you need me ━ not about my business though."

He sends the group of people a warning glare before he stalks off to the attached clinic.

The elevator couldn't move any slower.

Needless to say, Elijah is excited. The last time he saw Aliyah went great and they'd been texting since then but it would just take him a while to get used to having her as just a friend considering he's seen her naked.

After the ding sounds and the doors open, he steps off and finds himself at the reception of the clinic, asking for Kyree Pryce's chart and bed assignment.

He thanks the nurse behind the desk and makes his way to the room that's listed on the chart.

Elijah pushes the door open with a smile to see Kyree and Aliyah caught up in a conversation that has them both cackling like crazy people.