33. LIMBO

33. LIMBO

IF SOMEONE WERE TO TELL Aliyah Jasmine Pryce a month ago that she would be sitting in a therapist's office because she's only gotten fourteen hours of sleep in two weeks, she would've looked at them and called them crazy

If someone told her a month ago that leaving from work late at night would earn her two weeks worth of nightmares, she wouldn't have believed them.

But yet, here she is, seated in the office, plagued by the memories of that night two weeks ago.

After a brief moment of encouragement from her current roommate before he left for work, Aliyah had gotten the courage to take a cab to downtown Charlotte ━ she couldn't do much else.

Her insurance company was still trying to figure out what to do about her situation and the cops still haven't caught her attacker.

She feels like she's in limbo.

"So, Aliyah, how are you feeling?"

This is the third time she's heard that question in ten minutes and Aliyah couldn't be any more over it.

"I feel fine."

Taking in the snippy tone, Dr. Rogers raises an eyebrow before writing something in her notes. Aliyah cuts her eyes in annoyance.

Yes, she's here. That doesn't mean she wants to be here.

Dr. Rogers scans Aliyah's twiddling fingers and bouncing leg, "You don't look fine."

Aliyah arches an eyebrow, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

The therapist puts her notebook down and leans forward, resting her elbows on her knees, "It means you still have some residual emotional damage. Have you spoken to anyone about it?"

The chocolate-skinned woman looks away, averting her gaze to the tan colored walls. They're not blue, but she guesses it'll work.

"Aliyah," She continues, "I'm going to be honest. No amount of staring at blank walls is going to give you the help you need."

Aliyah's jaw ticks, nervously, "I feel fine."

"You are not fine."

"Okay," Something in the wedding planner snaps as she exclaims, "Maybe I'm not fine. Maybe I'm still dealing with residual emotional damage, I just ━ I don't think I'm ready to talk about it."

"That's what you feel, Aliyah, and that's valid," Dr. Rogers tells her patient, her eyebrows furrowing with understanding, "But, one way to heal is to talk about it. It doesn't have to be with me ━ talk to people you trust and you might not trust me yet, but you're going to. Eventually. And when you're ready, I'll be here."