71. PANCAKES & KICKS

THE SOUND OF SPONGEBOB'S grating voice is interrupted by the front door opening

THE SOUND OF SPONGEBOB'S grating voice is interrupted by the front door opening. Elijah steps through the door and hangs his key up.

"Ky, you here?" The doctor calls out to his girlfriend's brother, walking towards where the television is blaring Spongebob's annoying 'FUN' song. A box of half eaten pizza and a glass of water is laid out on the coffee table. Kyree is laying across the couch, his eyes struggling to stay open. Watching him carefully, the doctor steps forward and nudges the teen's foot.

Kyree jumps awake, his hands extending in self defense.

Elijah shakes his head, "It's me - glad you're ready to protect the house if anything."

The teen scoffs before running a hand over his face, exhaustion clear in his expression. It's 3 in the morning so Elijah could only imagine how tired he is.

"Yo, what time is it?" Kyree questions, spreading his hand against the couch in search of his phone.

Elijah tells him the time before continuing, "How 'bout you head up to the guest room? I'll clean up."

Kyree shakes his head, "Nah, I got it. I made the mess anyway."

Before Elijah has a chance to insist, Kyree stands from his spot and grabs the box of pizza and makes his way to the kitchen so he can put it in the fridge. Elijah follows behind the teen, his eyebrows furrowed.

Kyree is grabbing another glass of water when Elijah props his elbow up on the island surface and tilts his head.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asks Kyree, watching as he shakes his head solemnly. "Can you tell me if you're okay, at least?" Kyree glances up at him and nods. Elijah narrows his eyes, seeing as the tears prick in the teen's eyes. "I kind of expected you to have a girl over here, if I'm honest."

Kyree shakes his head with a chuckle. He downs the glass of water quickly before resting it in the sink, "I promise, I would not come over to y'all's crib with a girl." Little did Elijah know, that's exactly what Kyree means.

Elijah pokes out his bottom lip in interest before leaning back. Kyree opens his mouth and continues, "Can I ask you a question real quick?" Tired of being on his feet for most of the time at the golf course Maddox invited him to for his bachelor party, Elijah takes this chance to sit on the stool around his island and rest his elbows on top of it.

"Yeah, man, go ahead," He says, leaning back against his seat.

Kyree hides his mischievous smirk as best he can before leaning forward, mimicking Elijah's stance, "When are you and Lee getting married?"