51. SEVEN CARAT

51. SEVEN CARAT

THIS NIGHT PROVED TO be the most confusing for a certain orthopedic surgeon

First, he meets a man who's connected to his family then he finds out that his best friend was basically hiding a relationship from him — a relationship he has with his girlfriend's best friend.

And now his girlfriend is twerking on the dance floor with her best friends by her side. The only reason that was confusing is because he's never seen her let loose like this before —it's almost refreshing to see her with such a smile on her face that didn't come from being with him.

Kendrick had been on the dance floor with Toni so Elijah didn't have a chance to confront him but Maddox seemed to have been pushed off from Hally as she danced around in a circle with Aliyah.

The two sit there, silence between them as they watch their girls have their fun.

"So," Elijah starts, sipping his cold beer. This is his only one for the night so he can have full clarity when driving Aliyah home. "What do you do?"

Maddox sips his whiskey — his driver would be taking him and Hally back to his Charlotte home. He holds back a full-blown laugh and only allows a chuckle to slip through. Maddox finds it refreshing — not being known by someone he'd just met, no matter if their families are connected or not.

Elijah furrows his eyebrows but joins in the short burst of laughter, kind of confused — which is nothing new recently. "What's so funny, man?"

Maddox shrugs, jutting his chin out slightly in thought, "I don't mean to sound pretentious, mate, but I'm not used to not being known. Everywhere I go, people know me or my family or what I've done or what I'm doing right now."

In some way, Elijah could relate. While people aren't always sure about his relation with Ezra and Charlotte West, people who do know him tend to make it all about his parents' success and he didn't mean to sound ungrateful or selfish but he would've liked at least a bit of praise. 

He's also a successful surgeon who has gotten far in a short period of time.

Just speaking to Maddox earlier seemed to be a testament to that thought.

Bringing the beer to his lips, Elijah chuckles, "Yeah, I can relate."

Before the conversation can continue, another figure comes into Elijah's sights and he rolls his eyes when he sees that it's Kendrick. By no means was Elijah pissed - he doesn't think he has a right to; it's Kendrick's relationship - not his.