42. EMBARRASSING

42. EMBARRASSING

"SO, WHEN ARE you gonna take Aliyah out on an actual date?" The eager voice comes from Kendrick James as he looks over the MRI scans for one of his patients that has a skull tumor

It was only fate that he and his best friend would be working side by side. This would give him a chance to bombard said best friend with questions regarding his relationship.

Elijah scoffs, "So, when are you gonna mind your own business?"

"Never," Kendrick deadpans, "Which reminds me ━ is she okay? I mean, I know it's already been two months, but how's she doing?"

Shaking his head, Elijah rubs his scruff, "She's fine."

"Is she really fine or are you just saying that to make me ━"

"Shut up?" Elijah raises an annoyed eyebrow, "Maybe."

"I mean, dude, I barely been over to your crib in two months ━ did I do something or . . .?"

"No," Elijah reassures him, "You didn't do anything. It's not you. I mean, you can come over anytime. It's just ━"

Needless to say, Kendrick is embarrassing.

"Just what?"

And annoying. But they're best friends and they wouldn't be best friends if they didn't speak their minds around each other.

"Actually, it is you. You're embarrassing," Elijah chuckles, "So embarrassing."

Kendrick scoffs, staring up at the scans that finally loaded, "I got pent-up embarrassment is what it is."

Elijah narrows his eyes in confusion, "The fuck does that mean?"

"It means," The neurosurgeon drags, "I am living precariously through you. You are in a healthy relationship ━ with a very beautiful woman ━ and I am . . . still looking. And you're right, I'm an embarrassing guy, but I've been more embarrassing lately because I have nothing else to do."

"And I'm assuming that won't change until you are also in a healthy relationship." Elijah deduces, quickly.

Kendrick hums a yes.

A laugh bubbles out of Elijah's chest at the response ━ matter of fact, the entire interaction, "That's pathetic."

Kendrick rolls his eyes before making deductions in his head about the scan in front of him, "But, for real though. That date?"