38. HAPPY DAY

38. HAPPY DAY

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KY," Aliyah announces as Kyree approaches the couple, a smile on his face

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KY," Aliyah announces as Kyree approaches the couple, a smile on his face. Wrapping his arms around her, the smile widens, "Well, damn, did turning seventeen make you all sensitive?"

Behind her, Elijah shakes his head in amusement. When Ky pulls away, Elijah holds out his hand for a dap.

"Happy birthday, man," Elijah says when Kyree returns the handshake.

"Thanks," He nods in acknowledgment, "And thanks for coming. I wasn't sure if you were too busy to make it, but I'm glad you did."

A smile unfolds on Elijah's face as he nods, "Of course, man. Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Aliyah's eyes scan the yard in search of their mother ━ she needs to find her and calculate how long she has until Kiara Pryce pulls her by the ear and beats her ass.

Kyree rolls his eyes when he looks at her, "She's over by the grill with Uncle Chris."

Aliyah purses her lips before raising her eyebrow at Kyree, "Is she ━"

He nods, already knowing her question, "Very. So tread carefully."

And with that, he backtracks to his group of friends, leaving Aliyah to stir in her paranoia that her mother will probably never speak to her again. One thing Kiara Pryce hates is tardiness. And not being spoken to after three weeks.

That's what had happened while Aliyah was still trying to get her footing after the incident.

Crap.

Aliyah's eyes widen as she realizes that she still hasn't told her mother about that night. She wasn't even sure if she ━ Kiara ━ was ready to hear about it.

She staves away the tears that threaten to fall and turns to Elijah, "This was a mistake. I don't think I can talk to her without telling her about..."

She doesn't have to finish her sentence. Elijah nods, giving her the understanding eyes that he's mastered after years of patient care.

"Then tell her," He rests his hand on her jaw, his thumb caressing her cheek. Luckily, people were more focused on the birthday boy than them so they were free to be as lovey-dovey as they usually are.

Shaking her head, Aliyah closes her eyes, "Not today. Today's supposed to be a happy day." She opens her eyes, "So, I'm gonna suck it up and talk to her. Not  about that night, though. And you're gonna meet her."

Elijah's eyes widen but he doesn't have a chance to retort when Aliyah takes a hold of his hand and proceeds to drag him over to the grill where Kiara Pryce and Chris Taylor man the grill.

Kiara was enveloped in a conversation but Aliyah couldn't miss the anger behind her stare.

Inhaling sharply, the chocolate-skinned woman clears her throat, gaining the attention of her mother and her mother's brother.