62. NEGATIVE

62. NEGATIVE

ALIYAH CAN'T HELP the sigh of relief that passes her lips as she stares down at the white, plastic stick in her grasp

One line.

Negative.

The past couple of weeks were what pushed her to take the test — her back and breast pains, her extra weight. She'd pushed this thought to the back of her mind for so long until she realized that her period was late.

By a day, but still enough to make Aliyah take a pregnancy test. And it's negative. She wasn't sure if she should be sad or happy about it.

While she'd be ecstatic to have kids, she told herself and Elijah that they would wait until marriage to have them. This leads to her reservations — she wants kids. No doubt about it.

But she doesn't even know if Elijah wants kids so early. They're barely a year into their relationship and some might call that too soon for children. They haven't even found a place to move into yet.

She also can't help the feeling of disappointment that rushes through her.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she stretches her neck from staring down at the stick for so long. Straightening her back against the toilet, she exhales.

Only to be interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Baby, you good?" Elijah's voice floats through the wooden door of his bathroom. "You've been in there for a while. We're gonna be late to Max's thing."

Aliyah stares up at the ceiling, willing the tears away.

Why am I even crying? She asks herself before knocking herself out of it.

"Yeah," She responds, standing from the seat and flushing the toilet to play it off, "I'm good."

"DAMN, THIS PLACE IS sexy

"DAMN, THIS PLACE IS sexy." Elijah whistles lowly as he pulls into the driveway of Maddox's Charlotte home. Aliyah hums in agreement as she peers through the windshield and watches as they approach the four story modern-style house.